Outfitter Tents...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Outfitter Tents...

My son and I do a lot of camping due to his addiction to BMX racing (which BTW makes us travel A LOT!)...Camping makes the cost much more acceptable. However, this also means that we camp during some of the colder months as well, and our 8X10 Colmen tent isn't really equiped to handle being heated by anything. I've been looking into outfitter tents for the last few weeks, considering I already have a camp stove and stack. The stove is big enough to keep burning with the damper set to burn low for about 4 hours with out having to add wood and it radeates some good heat. BUT...What tent company should I look into for a good 12X12 outfitter tent with a smoke stack hole? I was looking at the Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak, but really didn't like what the "4 Star" and below reviews had to say. Please Help?! Thanks!

Rodney
    2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Re: Outfitter Tents...

Check out what Sportsmans Warehouse has to offer. They always have a couple put up in their stores.
    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

Davis tents make good ones. I picked up a Reliable one for a decent price. I just got the angle kit and made my own poles from 1"EMT. The one thing I would offer would be to find someone who has one for you to set up and see how much room they take up. I had 12x14 one it took me about an hour to set it up. I made a make shift awning out of a tarp and it increased the setup time. I eventually went to a tent that was quicker to set up.

Reliable tent and tipi
      https://www.reliabletent.com/index.c..._ID=45&CATID=9

Davis Tents
      http://davistent.com/html/tents.html

Mike B has posted about his tent. It is a Montana tent, I believe. here is a link to his thread
      http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...to-set-up-camp
      Good Luck

Comment

Thanks for the help guys! The links were a big help with pricing...about $800 cheaper for everything than Cabele's! Thanks again!
        2012 - Nights spent in the back country: 12

Comment

I'm going through the same issue except that I heard some raving reviews for the 12x12 Ultimate Alaknak, but I'm gravitated towards a 12x14 canvas internal frame wall tent. I know the set up of the canvas will take longer but it ultimately by nicer.
          last year in during late november hunt in northern Minnesota, a guy had an Alaknak 9.5x9.5 with a wood stove, I checked out the tent and warm and toasty it was, we had a night of very strong wind 25-35 mph and some freezing rain, it seems like his tent was fine through both.
          If you decided on the canvas, you might want to check out these guys http://www.westernwalltents.com/cata...roducts_id=111
          good luck

Comment

I have one of the Cabela’s 12 x 20 tents. I have never had any problems with it. It’s been through strong winds, rain, freezing rain, and snow. I then heat it with a Four-dog Stove. It is a good tent but I will also say I got it due to not having the money to get the cotton canvas tent I wanted. The Cabela’s tent I got was a better buy than I thought it would be. It has put up with a lot of what Mother Nature has thrown at it and came out the other side without a scratch. A cotton canvas tent would do better in the winter due to the thicker material will hold the heat in better. But I will not give up my Cabela’s tent now that I know what it can do.

Comment

Originally posted by busere View Post
              My son and I do a lot of camping due to his addiction to BMX racing (which BTW makes us travel A LOT!)...Camping makes the cost much more acceptable. However, this also means that we camp during some of the colder months as well, and our 8X10 Colmen tent isn't really equiped to handle being heated by anything. I've been looking into outfitter tents for the last few weeks, considering I already have a camp stove and stack. The stove is big enough to keep burning with the damper set to burn low for about 4 hours with out having to add wood and it radeates some good heat. BUT...What tent company should I look into for a good 12X12 outfitter tent with a smoke stack hole? I was looking at the Cabela's Ultimate Alaknak, but really didn't like what the "4 Star" and below reviews had to say. Please Help?! Thanks!

Rodney

How much are you trying to spend on a tent?

Comment

Working...
              X