Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dry Ice, Wet Ice, Cold Ice .....

Hi Gang,

What is the best ice to use for extended stays.? Just using a cooler.
    What, in your experience lasts the longest with keeping the water drained from bottom of cooler.? Will have pop and water for drinking in cooler. Not much if any food to keep cold. Most all food is add water, trying to keep it simple.
    Thank you for your ice info.

Ride the Rails,
    Trainman
    Ride the Rails,
    Trainman

Re: Dry Ice, Wet Ice, Cold Ice .....

Here we go again

Comment

Ok, thanks for the link
      Ride the Rails,
      Trainman

Comment

For the record, I use block ice, the thicker the better. With a freezer in the garage, it's easy to make my own blocks of ice out of plastic gallon milk/juice containers. After three to four days of camping then I'll make a run into the closest town or village and find a grocery that sells block ice. Dry ice works too, but it's a hassle that I don't like to deal with. I keep the water drained as much as possible. That's just my $0.02.

HS thanks for taking the time to post a helpful link.
        Last edited by renodesertfox; 12-11-2011, 08:36 AM.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Hey RDF, thank you for the block ice info. That is what I was looking for, block, cubes or dry.
          Thanks.

Ride the Rails,
          Trainman
          Ride the Rails,
          Trainman

Comment

Like RDF, we use one cooler with homemade block ice and drain the water off periodically so ice melts slower. On longer outings we use a 2nd cooler with dry ice (keep it from direct contact with the cooler wall to prevent any damage due to extreme cold) for the frozen meats. Of course, I have an advantage as I can get all the dry ice I need at work for free. :cool:

THERE IS NO CONSENSUS IN SCIENCE
            “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
            ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
              Yep, here we go again. Trainman45, check out this post... The topic was pretty well hammered out there although no consensus was ever reached...

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...p?3625-Coolers

How old is this link?

Comment

Make sure you drain the wet ice but not the dry ice and the cold ice should be left alone unless it gets warm and then you need to insulate it which can't happen in a hammock or cot but a canvass tent with a chimney port might do the trick but if you're camping on snow your tent shouldn't have a bottom whether canvass or not and whatever you do don't get a big tent get several small ones and put wet ice in each one of those and if you expect your tent to pack small and weigh light then expect to pay $800 and steer clear of anyone prancing around the public restrooms buck naked.

There. I think that pretty much raises all controversial topics that could possibly stem off of your innocent original post, so you should be able to get some good, solid answer now...hahahahaha.
                Nights camping in 2012: 2

"Doors marked pull reduce the speed of those who push before they read."
                READ THE INSTRUCTION MANUAL!

Comment

Hi Pilot, Hey thanks for all the info...... lol. Block ice has been working the best for us. It holds up a lot longer than the cubes. thanks again to RDF and Tplife for the block tip.
                  Ride the Rails,
                  Trainman

Comment

Originally posted by Internetpilot View Post
                    Make sure you drain the wet ice but not the dry ice and the cold ice should be left alone unless it gets warm and then you need to insulate it which can't happen in a hammock or cot but a canvass tent with a chimney port might do the trick but if you're camping on snow your tent shouldn't have a bottom whether canvass or not and whatever you do don't get a big tent get several small ones and put wet ice in each one of those and if you expect your tent to pack small and weigh light then expect to pay $800 and steer clear of anyone prancing around the public restrooms buck naked.

There. I think that pretty much raises all controversial topics that could possibly stem off of your innocent original post, so you should be able to get some good, solid answer now...hahahahaha.
                    RFLOL! Your posts always make me laugh (in a good way). But this one wins the prize! (Hopefully "Local Bobby" isn't scared away ...) And to think I wasn't even gonna click on the thread ("oh no, here we go again ...")
                    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Still laughing ... but I think you forgot something: If you're a girl, it doesn't make any difference if the ice is wet or dry ice or sitting in water or not, because you're gonna die anyway.
                      Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Well, I didn't think about the female camping thing because my wife refuses to go camping with me and my two boys. That's not because she doesn't like camping -- it's because she's a smart woman and knows that she'll die if she goes.

Comment

Dang I'pilot get her into a physical science classroom and hit the trails together! :cool:
                          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
                          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Hey pilot, She'll only die if she camps alone

Comment

I'm afraid that my little princess didn't even like camping back when I had motorhomes! She'd die of heat, cold, claustrophobia, bugs, dirt, campfire smoke, general annoyance, or a combination of any/all of those!

Comment

Working...
                              X