Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Double sleeping bags? or 2 good singles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Double sleeping bags? or 2 good singles?

Hey everyone! I'm in a pickle since we're getting hit with much colder weather than typical for this time of year and I need to get either a good double bag or 2 good singles that can do the zip together route. We usually do the bivy sack and blanket set up but since there's some wicked flurries outside today I'm not freezing when we're heading out for our last camping trip this season.

I didn't see much that'd fit the bill locally. The only double bag I did see was really bulky, had no stuff sack or compression bag available and really wasn't warm enough for the cold so the extra blankets would really add to packed weight.

We're taking the kids out with us so it's daypack time and not full packs. Not sure if tent size is an issue, but if it is lol we're camping in a kelty gunnison 2.1. Pack size wise, hubby is taking his pit boss and I've got my helena so we're looking at 1800 and 1400 cubic. We might end up dragging out a bigger pack with this weather but I'm hoping not to!

If anyone's got any recommendations I'd really appreciate. Mixed reviews on gear leave me a little apprehensive about buying online without much time to really test out gear before a 3 day camping trip.

Thanks! ~Vex

Re: Double sleeping bags? or 2 good singles?

Semi-rectangular bags in 650-fill goose down are zippable if you buy left and right-hand models, although it's rarely worth the bother to zip them together although we've used them at home for a cozy comforter. These things can be bought new off Ebay for 60% off MSRP by makers such as Marmot, Sierra Designs, A16, REI, etc. and are so ridiculously compressible! Goose down bags pretty much last forever if they are quality-made.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I'd go with two regular bags that can be zipped together over one huge bag. Not only will they pack easier, but you have more versatility.
      Nights spent outdoors this year: I lost track

Comment

I'm no expert, but I'd go with two bags that zip together rather than one big one. More versatile and easier to pack and store. We use camp bags from LL Bean, but we're not camping in really cold weather. I do highly recommend their sleeping bags, though. They're very comfy and they store well. DH has an LL Bean backpacking bag, and I had a mummy that was a great bag, but not really suited for me. I sold it and got us the matching camp bags instead which have been used over 25 nights this year, sometimes zipped together and sometimes as singles.

Comment

Agreed to all that said get 2. That's what we ended up doing and come tax time I'm probably going to get some better ones and hand these down. The liner was just not what my husband and I prefer, though we were very warm!

Comment

Working...
          X