Mattress advice? (No Air Pads)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mattress advice? (No Air Pads)

I just returned my sleep pad (Cabelas Ultimate Self-Inflating Pad). On my first trip, it bubbled up on me and started to delaminate... a total piece of Made-in-China garbage. And with a price of nearly $175, it was a complete rip-off. I will get a full refund, but not sure if I trust Cabelas gear anymore.

So, I'm looking for a real camp mattress. I'm tall, and I like to turn over on each side when I sleep. Ideal dimensions: 78"x38"x3".

Also, I have a small car, so it needs to be foldable. I thought about a futon, but I think it would be too bulky/heavy.

I found this on Amazon: Teton Sports XXL Camp Cot Pad
    (http://www.amazon.com/Teton-Sports-O...pr_product_top), but it's just 2.5" of cheap foam and I'm worried it won't be comfortable enough.

Any ideas?

Gear_Junkie

Re: Mattress advice? (No Air Pads)

I'm 6' and 240lbs. A Big Agnes Park Series sleeping bag with a Big Agnes pad to match. I have the Insulated Air Core 25x78x2.5. You cannot roll off the pad with the Big Agnes system. Don't ask me to reply anytime soon, I'm leaving tomorrow for the Tahoe National Forrest. You can be that I will be sleeping good! Check out the videos here: http://www.backcountryedge.com/big_a...ulated-08.aspx
    Please, somebody, anybody, help my Chicago Bears.

Comment

Thank you for the replies. I just bought this last night: http://www.thefutonshop.com/Shiatsu-...avy/p/680/2810

It's a shiatsu pad from the Futon Shop, but it doubles as a camp pad. I tested it out and it's comfortable, compact, and lightweight. Best of all - it won't leak, EVER.

Comment

Leaks aren't an issue with ThermaRest pads, some of mine are 1988 vintage and going strong. And while some will find thicker pads more comfortable, with their high R value the CampRest pads are more than thick enough for very, very cold weather like at 8000-foot altitudes where we hunt mulies and black bear. I sleep on my side and rest very comfortably. BTW, we camp with an Acura Integra, you can't get much more compact than that! Stick with a brand like MegaMat or Thermarest. I suspect Big Agnes is also a high-quality product considering their outstanding tent line. While a futon or foam cusion is preferable in the cold than a cot or an air mattress, they do take up a lot of space...
        Last edited by tplife; 09-14-2011, 09:46 AM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I got some Memory Foam I think it was for a full size bed cut it down and sewed some rip stop mateiral from walmart to make a cover for it. just roll it up rape 550 cord around it and your ready to go. that is what i use in my cot tent
          Last edited by demonslaer; 09-17-2011, 09:16 PM.

Comment

I'll have a try I am newbie of this game.

Comment

Thanks for speaking out Rob...please be patient. There is a moderation period of 6 posts that everyone must go through before your posts/threads start showing up automatically. This forum is set-up this way to ensure that campateers are legit and not spammers. Thank you for your patience. Even-though you are probably not a spammer, everyone has gone through this process, including me. Once again thank you for taking the time to join camping forums.
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Originally posted by demonslaer View Post
                I got some Memory Foam I think it was for a full size bed cut it down and sewed some rip stop mateiral from walmart to make a cover for it. just roll it up rape 550 cord around it and your ready to go. that is what i use in my cot tent
                Thanks - It's nice to see someone making their own gear.

Comment

I'va always used foam pads. They are nice on your back and can then be cut into whatever shape you need. Like demonslaer, a lot of people are starting to use memory foam for this, but there are tons of different types of bedding foam, just find your favorite and cut it up. I've always just stored them by rolling them up and strapping a bungee cord around them, they are the no hassle way to go about bedding.

Comment

I bought the REI Camp Bed self inflating pad. It's 3.5" thick. extremely comfortable and held up just fine in a two week camping road trip. The XL size sounds like what you need. It's advertised at $109
                    It worked well for me, maybe it will work for you as well.

Comment

I’ve bought this one but I haven’t tried it yet: http://www.campingcentral.com.au/pro...ingle-Mattress
                      I think I didn't make a mistake judging by reviews. They have a 1 year warranty and apparently durable, just not sure if the size is right for you ... Does anybody have experience with the OZtrail brand and is there any manufacturer who is making latex mattresses for camping? I know it’s not adapted to backpackers but thinner latex can be quite flexible …

Comment

Why not get a 3-inch thick self-inflatable pad? I have a Therm-a-Rest Dream XL and it really does well on a camping trip. It's a roll up mattress so it's easy to carry,and besides it's also light in the "pocket"..

Comment

Not sure what part of the country you're at gear_junkie but you can always try buying a new pad at REI. They have 100% customer satisfaction return policy. No questions asked. Although, I definitely like demonslaer's recommendation for using memory foam. Makes me want to make my own pad.

Comment

Working...
                          X