Ugh!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ugh!!!

Just back from a "weekend" camping trip to a local state park, Burlingame. Let's just say that it was a less than stellar 2 night stay. Last night we get there set up, then run to the camp store to buy fire wood. You're not allowed to bring firewood into Ma., and RI state parks due to an Asian Longhorn Beetle infestation that they are trying to control. So, I grab 3 bundles and head back to camp, fire up the grill for baked potatoes and a nice steak, then begin to work on the campfire. Well, there was just no way this wood was going to burn well or easily, so having a campfire was a complete battle and not the usual relaxing experience that we've all come to know and love. We woke Saturday and had a nice breakfast and prepared to go to my nieces graduation party. When we returned from the party imagine our joy when we pulled in and found tow rather large trailers in the sites across from us complete with exterior generators and barking dogs. We couldn't even hear ourselves think on our site. Then the music started. Our neighbors went over to talk to them about music but those evil generators just continued to droned on and on and on to the point that the wife and I decided to break camp and call it a weekend, and an experience. I hope this was more of a fluke than anything else. Thanks for listening.....it was depressing, and I don't want depressing camping experiences.

Re: Ugh!!!

This has happened to just everyone who has tent camped in a public campground, never know who your neighbors will be! Better luck next time. That's why we like dispersed camping in remote locations.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

In my experience, sometimes that happens. I try to never camp near RV sites but sometimes you have no choice. Don't give up yet! You had one bad trip, next time will probably be better!
      My Other Interest

Comment

Oh, I'm not giving up by any stretch of the imagination. I just need to figure out how to find the sites that are in areas that are hard to access with large trailers and other campers that might have the desire to use a generator. The one thing that did disappoint me was that these people had 2 generators going for no apparent reason. Maybe there was a reason that I'm not aware of, but to leave them going for hours on end???

Comment

Originally posted by RIRider View Post
          Oh, I'm not giving up by any stretch of the imagination. I just need to figure out how to find the sites that are in areas that are hard to access with large trailers and other campers that might have the desire to use a generator. The one thing that did disappoint me was that these people had 2 generators going for no apparent reason. Maybe there was a reason that I'm not aware of, but to leave them going for hours on end???
          Otter River, in Winchendon, MA is for tent camping only. The sites are too small for rigs to get into -- most of their roads are too small too. The East Side of Lake Dennison is mostly for tent camping as well. I did not see too many sites big enough for any type of rig. If you check the site maps for the state parks, many of them have tent only sections that you can chose to camp in.

We like to have bigger sites, so we always make sure that the site is rated for big rigs. Our trip earlier this month had us camping with tent campers on one side, a pop-up trailer on another side, and a huge RV on the other side.

The tent campers were unbelievably loud and stayed up pretty late. There were three or four families staying on the same site -- they were all related. We went over and introduced ourselves the very first day, but there was a bit of a language barrier. They didn't seem to speak enough English to carry on a conversation.

The RV did use their generator once in awhile, but usually about the time that we were wondering when they were going to shut it off, it would shut off. They were a very nice couple, who seemed to be pretty considerate. We visited with them a couple of times and they told us that they used to tent camp when they were younger. They complained to us about the loud tent campers saying that if they could hear them in their rig, the partying must be even louder for us in our tent.

The pop-up trailer folks were very nice, quiet, and friendly. Never had any issues from their side. They were camping with lots of extended family, but they all seemed to have their own sites nearby. They seemed to have the most fun, playing games, cooking competitions (the park rangers were the judges), fishing, etc. We wanted them to adopt us into their family!

Last year we camped next to some really young couples who had a very loud party one night. We brought them party food and asked if there wasn't another campsite they could have their next party at instead. They were very nice, apologized, thanked us for the food, and said that they would go elsewhere that night. We never heard another peep from them after 9 p.m. for the rest of our stay.

On our second trip last year, all our neighbors were very nice. However, the couple next to us had a newborn who screamed a couple times a night for feedings. The couple apologized for the noise, which was nice of them, but not really necessary. There really isn't much one can do about that other than thank God our kids are grown.
          "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
          ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I had a less-than-stellar overnighter and was wondering how to post about it. So I'll chime in on this thread.

The downside
            • very small tent sites, as in just the grassy strip along the side of the road
            • sites right next to each other with no buffer, no privacy
            • neighboring site up past 11:00 with partying, including a farting contest
            • lots of cussing, including the f-word
            • lots of yelling at their kids, with the f-word
            • they used several bright lanterns, positioned such that they shone directly in my tent

I def thought about packing up and leaving, esp since I was only 20 minutes from home. Luckily for me there were some bright spots that made it worthwhile:

The upside
            • Unusual weather for East Coast: low humidity, temps in 70s - so the night was cool
            • Clear skies, no chance of rain or thunderstorms
            • Full moon
            • Slept without the tent fly on; so I could see the stars and moon, framed by the forest
            • Park is a migratory location; at sunset and sunrise the woods came alive with birdsong
            • Owls must be living in a tree at my site; listened to two different types of owls during the night (I thought it was fascinating; neighbor did not like the owls)
            • And, waking up in a tent to a bright clear sunrise makes it all worthwhile

Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

GH....one should never worry about posting or even starting a thread about a bad camping experience. It's a fact of life that things sometimes never go the way we would like them too. Others too can learn what campgrounds to avoid if we are all honest in our trip reports and over time perhaps these campgrounds might improve themselves. Hopefully, maybe you're next camp out experience will be everything you hope it to be. Your positives did out-weigh the negatives, but if it was I, I would have moved. Thanks for sharing your real life adventure!
              Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
              Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Hi all. Long time lurker/first time poster. I thought I'd share my process for choosing a campsite here.

I live in the chicago area and since there is no dispersed camping available nearby I go through quite the process on finding the best/quietest campsite in a campground.

If it is my first visit to a campground I start by looking at a map of the campground. Most state parks use reserve america so I usually am looking at that. Heres the steps I go through:

1. Identify the non electric tent only sites. These are usually the most wooded sites. Also, an added bonus is there is no electricity which usually translates into less loud music, and less crying babies.

2. Avoid the main loop in the tent only area. Although, there is less noise pollution in the tent only areas the main loop still attracts the college/party crowd.

3. This narrows me down to a couple of smaller areas off of the main loop in the tent only non electric sites. I then look at the sites that are in the back corner of that area. If there is a description of site I will pick the one that says it has full shade.

Using these steps I usually avoid the bulk of the noise and have the most privacy even in a packed state park. Of course, the two or three sites I narrow it down to usually are the most booked sites so you have to plan in advance and make reservations.

Hope this helps.
                4. Upon visiting a campground for the first time I simply get a map of the campground from the office and go for a stroll. I will circle sites and take notes of the sites I would
                be willing to stay at in the future. File the map away and I never have to do the process for that campground again.

Comment

I have learned a few things over the years in tent camping......

1) If possible, I do it during the week rather than the weekend - fewer families.
                  2) Try to find a campground with the RV and tent sections widely enough separated to reduce noise.
                  3) Try to get the furthest spot from the RVs, the bath house, etc, and if possible way back in the far back edge. Most folks don't want to walk that far to 'take care of business', they like up close to the facilities.
                  4) I carry a small radio/CD player and big ear-covering headphones. If really noisy, I use foam earplugs under the headphones.
                  5) Complain to the camp host or ranger - usually there are rules the offenders are breaking.
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
                  X