Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Do you put something on the INSIDE on your tent floor?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Do you put something on the INSIDE on your tent floor?

Our tent has a polyester/nylon floor. Previous tents we've had were tarp material. I'm afraid of tracking dirt in and possibly damaging the floor. We try to take off our shoes but when you're just grabbing one thing in the tent, sometimes you get lazy, ya know?

Is there something we could put on the floor inside the tent? We have a tarp underneath. I tried a piece of heavy black plastic on the inside but it got way too hot to walk on and stuck to everything with static cling! (I'd cut the black plastic to go under the tent, then found a tarp just the right size, so I figured I'd try the plastic inside. Experiment was not successful.)

I was thinking of getting an old blanket to put inside, or a canvas painter's tarp, or something. Thoughts? Suggestions? Help?!

Re: Do you put something on the INSIDE on your tent floor?

We use blankets, some fold into themselves with an outer cover attached. They are ideal for a soft surface adjacent to the sleeping pads, especially late at night playing cards, or in the morning getting dressed, rather than the cold nylon floor. If we need something out of the tent, we keep our shoes outside, and get on our knees through the open tent doo, and fetch what we need. Our tents have front and rear doors, and aren't larger than 10 X 10, so there is no part of the tent that cannot be accessed through the door.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

We use cotton bathroom rugs, that's cotton on both sides. They are small, easily transported and washable. The vinyl side bath rugs will eventfully breakdown after repeated washings and that's not good. Wal-mart has a nice selection.
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

You might try the cheap fleece 'sleepingbag liners' - use one opened out for a smaller tent, two or more as needed for a bigger tent. Or a narrow strip of outdoor carpet in the tent center, if you have the sleeping arrangements on either side.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I had visited an Amish market, and one vendor was selling polar fleece ... I don't know if it was a rug or a comforter. But it fit the inside of my tent perfectly; I've used it in the cooler months.
          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Seriously? I never even considered lining the floor of the tent. Hmmmm, I'll have to think about that. We put a tarp outside the tent and used a door mat inside but carpeting sounds just nice.

Comment

We keep "welcome" mats outside to wipe our feet off before going into the tent. Neither one of us is big on bare feet (socks without shoes is barefoot to us), so we are always wearing either flip-flops, sandals, or hiking boots. Plus, we always have the dog with us and he tracks in all kinds of stuff.

We always bring a big push broom and sweep out the tent when it needs it. Like HogSnapper, our broom head unscrews from the handle for easier packing.

If we had any type of area rugs or whatnot, I think it would be more trouble than it's worth trying to keep it clean.
              "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
              ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

I have never put anything down, not even a tarp between the ground and the tent. I think I will next time though.
                I do what someone above mentioned, keep my feet on the outside and reach in if I need something out of the tent.
                My Other Interest

Comment

Here are a few shots of the inside to give an idea of what I use:

These are in-expensive cotton bath rugs from Wal-mart. We measured the areas that needed some coverage and then purchased rugs that fit. It sure is nice getting up in the morning to place our toes on a bathroom rug instead of nylon when we use the nylon tent or colder rubber when we use our canvas tent! They all roll up in a bundle and I load them in a separate duffel with our soiled clothes so it's just an extra load in the wash!
                  Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                  Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I put a welcome mat outside the tent door and right inside the tent by the door and then put a packing blanket on the rest of the floor of our Timberline 6 tent

Comment

Originally posted by GlitterHiker View Post
                      I had visited an Amish market, and one vendor was selling polar fleece ... I don't know if it was a rug or a comforter. But it fit the inside of my tent perfectly; I've used it in the cooler months.
                      This is a great way to go with fleece. You can cut fleece to size and no sewing because it doesn't ravel. I have seen mention of using a canvas painters tarp. Also, depending on how big your tent is - try an old fabric shower curtain. A friend of mine just gave me a couple of moving quilts - very sturby and thick. I can't wait to try them out. Bet they'll feel good on the feet
                      I 'need' an Ipad to take with me camping!

Comment

Originally posted by campnewbie View Post
                        This is a great way to go with fleece. You can cut fleece to size and no sewing because it doesn't ravel. I have seen mention of using a canvas painters tarp. Also, depending on how big your tent is - try an old fabric shower curtain. A friend of mine just gave me a couple of moving quilts - very sturby and thick. I can't wait to try them out. Bet they'll feel good on the feet
                        Thank you for the great ideas!
                        Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I had a business for 3 years making products for parrots out of fleece (debris catchers, tents, travel cage covers, etc.) so I've got at least 5 whole 10 yard bolts of fleece fabrics in bright colors - solids and prints left over. Several times, I've almost put them up for sale to regain the space. Now that I'm taking up camping - I'm glad I didn't! It can be used in so many ways. An added plus is that it washes well and lasts very well because it's good quality fleece.
                          I 'need' an Ipad to take with me camping!

Comment

I use an old floral patterned quilt. It's pretty thick and it really brightens up the place, lol. I like the idea of the fleece though. Oh, but how cool would it be with a bear rug? Faux of course. Now we're talking. Great, now the gears are really turning. Coleman magnetic disco ball and shag carpet to boot? I can't see this going over too well with "the boss" but it's worth a try! Here's to my new tent floor. Hopefully. (lol)

Comment

Dang, Reno! That's a nice get up. If I can find heated portable mats, I will let you know.

I generally line my tent with an old blanket I got from my grandma. Infront of the entry way, I lay down a beach bamboo mat. It sucks up the sand and dirt and doesn't get cold like the blanket. Which is weird.

-Timberline

Comment

Working...
                              X