Hello Fellow Campers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hello Fellow Campers

Hi there. I'll just BET you NEVER get questions about recommendations for tents....lol

I need some experienced camper advice here. I am TOTALLY new to camping but in the spring decided I wanted to accumulate some gear and try it out. I purchased an REI 4 person dome tent with footprint (after I purchased a Field and stream and returned it because I was afraid I couldn't set it up by myself) Not liking bugs too well, I also bought a Northwest Territory screen canopy to take along. First, let me say that the REI tent is a great tent - easy to set up and nice. BUT I quickly deduced that I kind of wanted to be able to stand up in my tent AND I thought an attached screen room with a floor would be nice too. You see, those skeeters can figure out how to come UNDER the screen canopy if it has no floor and has a gap of a few inches

So, I began to look at bigger tents - cabin ones to be exact. Having a small budget, I decided a Northwest Territory Vacation Home would do the trick. I ordered it, got it, broke it:( doing a test setup in the backyard in a LIGHT breeze. Decided I wasn't too happy with the strength of this tent so I returned to looking at family sized domes which don't have plastic hubs that poles go into.

OK, so given all of this history, I'm now looking to buy another tent. My needs are:
    attached screen room WITH floor, enough space in the sleeping space of the tent and the screen room to stand up, reasonably sturdy - I'm not going to be camping in a hurricane or anything, tent can be used in spring, summer and fall, and it really needs to cost under $200. (Big Agnes is certainly above my means) Used is ok as long as it's in good shape. I take good care of my stuff so I anticipate the tent will last for several seasons. Weight isn't an issue - I'll be car camping only. I've looked at so many reviews and tents that I'm completely confused. Can someone help? I figured I'd turn to people who really knew about camping instead of reviews that might be users but might also be competitors or manufacturers.

Oh and just to clarify, I will be camping alone at least part of the time - female - so I need the tent to be reasonably easy to set up.
    I 'need' an Ipad to take with me camping!

Re: Hello Fellow Campers

Another solo female camper! - welcome! Like you, I was recently insearch of a tent that meets your description. I could not find one with an attached screen room that met my criteria, until I found this one from L. L. Bean. The screen room does not have a floor though; I wish it did. But the flaps were fairly long and I didn't have an issue with mosquitos. And it was above my budget range, and yours; but I love it. I was able to set this up by myself (I'm 5'3"). Anything larger (wider or taller), I would not have been able to set up myself.

Hopefully others will offer some less-expensive ideas.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Thx Glitterhiker! Yes. And I'm no spring chicken solo female camper! But I decided camping was on my bucket list. Besides it's about the only way I could afford to take overnight trips! Sick of all the hotels tacking on fees! (Really? Tourism fee? What next?) For me, it's not so much about the destination as the camping experience. Therefore I want a tent that I can actually spend some time in if I want to. Most of my camping trips will be one nighters only and will probably be in a state campground at a lake about an hour from my home. I have parrots and cannot leave them for many nights at a time so one nighters are about it for me.

I like your tent. It's really cool. My one reservation is no floor on the screen room. I have some problems with mosquitos. When they bite me, it doesn't just last a day or so but weeks and sometimes months later, it's still itching and healing. Doc says I'm allergic to them. And they LOVE me! I do use all types of repellent but the little suckers come after me anyway. Best scenario for me is a sealed up screen room.

Comment

1. So, the flaps that cover the screens won’t keep the water out? I mean I know they’re no substitute for a full coverage fly but they won’t control it somewhat?
        2. I already have a screen house. It is the 10x10 Northwest Territory one. I’ve been trying to come up with a fix to close the gaps at the bottom. The problem is when the screen room is upright and pulled taught as it should be, there is about a 3-4” gap under most sides. That’s not much but the little skeeters can figure it out. I’ve wondered what would happen if I was able to somehow “extend” the side by sewing 8-10” strips of fabric on the bottom of each side. Fleece would work nicely for this and I could even put extra stakes along the sides. With the solution that you offer, I’d have to either carry bricks or rocks (quite a few) or dig up the campsite to pile up the dirt on all sides.
        3. What you say here does make some sense to me about the tent. Maybe I’m looking at the wrong thing. Tents without screen houses certainly seem to be cheaper. Remember though that I want it to be sturdy.
        4. P.S. I’m really liking a lot of what I’m seeing on here about rain protection using a suspended tarp. I am rather concerned though about putting this up by myself. I’m 5’5” and would need to get some height AND the site would have to have trees to connect to.

Comment

1. Got it. Makes sense.
          2. EUREKA! Duh - why didn't I think of that. Don't add extra to the bottom - just lower the whole thing at the stake points! Good one!
          3. Makes perfect sense to me. As evidenced with my cabin tent which snapped in a light breeze:(
          4. This will take some learning but I'm sure with the advice of everyone here - I can do this. On the blue tint - Hmmmm - interesting point.

Thank you!

Comment

OK. So I decided to take Hogsnapper's advice. I'm a person of action soooooo, I went to Walmart tonight after a little research and bought the Ozark Trail 8 person 14x8 dome. I paid the online price for it after whittling the salesperson down explaining he'd rather have the money at his store than online! Came home with it at 8pm and set it up by myself in about 20 minutes. It was easy. I really like the tent. It's a perfect fit for me. I will put my queen sized bed under one window at one end and set up a little sitting area in the other end. Perfect! I'm sure the rain fly will not keep a driving rain out but the coverage over the doors and windows on each long side is pretty good. But, again, I plan to take Hogsnapper's (and other's) advice and buy a tarp to keep out the elements. It will be money well spent I'm sure. Tent has two interior pockets and a hanging loop in the top center plus a power port pocket. For the money, it is excellent. I plan to seal the seams while I have it up in the back yard. Thanks everybody. I'm happy.

Comment

Like I said - a person of action. Actually, I have been doing my homework for weeks but had just become so confused in doing so. Sure glad I posted. It helped me immensely.

Comment

Cool! I'm glad you were able to find a solution so quickly. When you go out, I'd love to hear about your adventures.
                Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Originally posted by campnewbie View Post

4. P.S. I’m really liking a lot of what I’m seeing on here about rain protection using a suspended tarp. I am rather concerned though about putting this up by myself. I’m 5’5” and would need to get some height AND the site would have to have trees to connect to.
                  Take a look at the Flibitygiget at www.flibitygiget.com . Getting the height you need with a tarp won't be an issue and with a couple of them you can even set up the tarp without trees.
                  Staying DRY is what it is all about and a little shade from a hot sun isn’t bad either. www.Flibitygiget.com

Comment

Working...
                  X