Brand New to camping and need some advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brand New to camping and need some advice

So I'm tired of paying ridiculously high prices for hotels, cottages, etc in order to go away for a weekend with my family and I want to give camping a try.

My family- 2 girls ages 2 and 5, my husband, myself and 1 friendly dog.

I bought a 10 person tent by Coleman from Costco and am starting to pick up air mattresses for everyone.
    What do i do about light?
    I assume I'll need at least a mini-grill- think we have one or two
    folding chairs?
    What are the essentials for going camping?
    And how much time should I anticipate it will take to set up a large tent? Hour?
    Is there a way to have maybe a small fan or is that dangerous?
    I drive a 2007 Honda Odyssey

I wanted to go to Cape Cod (a 4hr drive) But then thought perhaps we should pick somewhere within an hour drive as a "practice run"
    I plan to find somewhere that has bathrooms, showers, and near the beach. So probably a state park along the CT shoreline.

I look forward to hearing your advice.

Re: Brand New to camping and need some advice

there are lots of lists for gear on the internet. Search this forum and you can find tons of ideas like battery powered fans.

Most important is finding a good campground.

Comment

I do plan to do a practice set up at home, but no, I don't have a backyard. I live on an acre, but unfortunately most of it is too sloped to put a tent on. I think I might have just enough of somewhat level space to set it up in front of my front door- but I wouldn't leave it up fo more than a night and I don't think I could bring myself to "camp" in it, in my front yard, we have a pretty active neighborhood. Don't campgrounds have showers, etc? I don't think I plan to "ruff it" as much as some of you tenters.
      I've got a whole third row of seats in my minivan that fold down, so I am not sure what I'd have to sacrifice. But getting it set up will help me visualize what I need. if it wont all fit in my van, I'll just have my husband drive his car too.
      But I figured Id at least set it up and seal the seams in the yard.

Im going to try and find a list of camping needs. Hoping to get them on craigslist or tag sales. If we go 1 time this year for 2 nights I think that will be enough, or maybe for 1 night within our state and then 2 nights at the Cape...next year might be easier when my 2yr old(24 months) is 3 and hopfully out of diapers.
      We'll need a way to heat up milk- one of those coffee pots that can sit on a grill or something- but I couldn't build a fire in my yard for practice. Just not an option for where we live- I can just see my nosey neighbors calling the police LOL!

Comment

Backyard "test" camping is an excellent idea. You will find out what you need and what you don't need without a trip being 'ruined' by forgetting something important. Battery powered lanterns are great for inside the tent. Set up your tent a few times before a real trip so you know just how to do it!
        My Other Interest

Comment

There are a lot of great camping lists on this site and the internet.

I think practicing in the backyard is a great idea if you've never been camping before.

My 2¢ on some important items you're going to need:

• first aid kit personalized to your family's needs
          • at least 2 tarps (one under your tent, one over your tent) to keep you dry in case of rain
          • bungee cords and/or rope
          • flashlights or mini-lanterns for bathroom trips (preferably one for each of you) or nighttime hiking/walks
          • bug spray with lots of Deet in it (we prefer Deep Woods Off)
          • books, board games, and/or playing cards

My 2¢ on things I think make camping more pleasant and enjoyable:
          • screen house for prepping, cooking, and clean-up of meals -- if there's a lot of bugs where you're camping, you can also eat your meals in there as well (if you put a tarp over it, you can use it as a gathering spot if it rains, rather than being stuck in the tent)
          • organizational system for your camp kitchen: whether you use an actual camp kitchen, plastic bins, or cheap plastic drawer system, you will find making meals a joy rather than a hardship (some of us have pictures of our campsites posted which will give you ideas of what might work for you – click on my profile and you’ll be able to see a couple of albums, renodesertfox also has albums on his profile, and there are plenty of pics on various threads, too)
          • two coolers (one for food, the other for drinks): this helps your ice to last longer as you’re going to be opening the drink cooler more often and helps to keep your food items colder
          • battery operated fan -- helps if it's too hot at night, or during an afternoon nap
          • battery operated radio -- for keeping abreast of the weather and having a bit of relaxing music to listen too (just remember to be considerate of your fellow camp neighbors)
          • pet bed for your dog while you’re hanging around your campsite: don’t know about your dog, but mine tends to follow me everywhere, especially while I’m cooking (I think that’s because I’m a bit klutzy), having a pet bed allows us to make him stay in a particular spot and keep him out from under our feet and away from the fire
          • door mats for in front of your tent: I have two door mats that I stake (4 stakes in each corner of each mat) in front of the tent to keep out the dirt, which really helps to keep the tent cleaner

Those are the things that come to mind right now. If I think of more, I'll post them.
          "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
          ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Check with the campground to see if their tent spots have electricity - then you can use a bigger AC fan - in this heat down here in the south, a small battery fan may just not do it. If you go battery-powered, WalMart carries the "O2 COOL" series fans. For your big family tent, the ten inch 8 D-cell type would be best - the 6V fan doesn't flow enough air.
            The list from Surmisez is good.
            It shouldn't be hard to find a good two-burner campstove on Craig's List or Ebay. For sheer ease of use, especially for new campers, the type using a one-pound propane bottle is quickest and most convenient. With more experience, you can upgrade to the Coleman Gas type.
            Keep food stored securely in a critter-proof metal cooler. Raccoons are notorious thieves! Any rodent can chew through plastic easily.
            Take some small garbage bags. I toss the trash each day, so as not to draw critters - the dumpster is usually not a far walk.
            Above all, enjoy!
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Hi! I agree with you about traveling and the price of hotel/motels. It's one of the reasons why I camp also. Everyone here is giving you great ideas. I love reading and books and I posted this on another thread:

These books helped me a lot when I started camping last year:

"Let's Get Primitive - the Urban Girl's Guide to Camping", by Heather Menicucci
              Not only does she covers the basics of tent camping, but it's a really fun read. She addresses "girl" stuff too and evening activities. I really enjoy it.
              http://www.amazon.com/Lets-Get-Primi...8529385&sr=1-1

"Tent and Car Camper's Handbook"
              This was the first book I bought about camping. It inspired me by laying it all out very simply. I still refer to it.
              http://www.amazon.com/Tent-Car-Campe...8529458&sr=1-1
              Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

I am also a new camper this year. My daughter and I will take our first trip in August. We are going to Myles Standish State Park. I think it's in Carver, Ma. It isn't as far at the cape. There are ponds for swimming, hiking paths, and biking paths. I will NOT mention the great price. $12 per night. Can't go wrong with that savings vs. a hotel room. =)

Comment

Originally posted by Just-in-time View Post
                  I am also a new camper this year. My daughter and I will take our first trip in August. We are going to Myles Standish State Park. I think it's in Carver, Ma. It isn't as far at the cape. There are ponds for swimming, hiking paths, and biking paths. I will NOT mention the great price. $12 per night. Can't go wrong with that savings vs. a hotel room. =)
                  Since we live in Taxachusetts, we've already paid for the stay. :D

You'll have to let me know how Myles Standish State Park is.

We camped at Pearl Hill Park in Leominster last year and won't go back. Most of the sites are entirely way too close together with no natural breaks in between (bushes or trees). There is only one very short hiking trail.

And the worst thing was what they call a lake. Where I come from, we call that a swamp hole. It's very tiny and shallow with brownish stuff on the bottom (we figured it was leaves that were in the process of breaking down). There were so many folks in that water that it reminded me of bathtime when I was a kid -- seven kids meant always sharing tub space -- it was so crowded you couldn't see the water.

Wells State Park in Sturbridge is really nice. The park is lovely and scenic with a nice, large, clean lake and some really nice hiking trails.

We've heard lots of great things about Lake Dennison in Winchendon, so we'll be trying them out this summer. I'll let you know how it is.
                  "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"

Comment

I looked at your pictures of Wells...it looked nice. Maybe for next year. I'd also like to go somewhere near Jimini Peak at some point. My daughter and I had such a good time there and we want to go again. Why we haven't? Hotel cost if we stay over night and the 4 hour drive each way if we don't. We have gone to Myles Standish for day swimming trips but this will be the first time camping (as you know already). I'll let you know but, you should take it with a grain of salt sense we are newbees. =)

Comment

When I was younger we did a lot of camping at Myles Standish. 45 years later I am looking to return there with my wife. We have checked out the campground to find the most desirable area, and have found it to be Curlew Pond. It's not a really crowded area and has a fair amount of good sites along the pond, albeit elevated off the pond. It's imperative that you get your reservations in early. Most weekends are pretty well booked up. Next weekend we will be taking a trip down to Burlingame State Park here in RI. This might be a good area for campermom to look into as it's not that far from the Ct. line and it's pretty cheap.

Comment

I was soooooo glad to read that you liked Curlew Pond as that is where we are going. I made my reservation back in May for a 3 stay in August. We did take a drive down there but at the time the Curlew Pond area wasn't open yet. We will try again at some point because I'd really like to see our site. =) I am quite excited and already see the possibility for all those places we'd like to go that are too far for a day trip and would need an overnight stay. Now we could stay more nights for the same 1 night hotel room. = SWEET!

Comment

Originally posted by Just-in-time View Post
                          I was soooooo glad to read that you liked Curlew Pond as that is where we are going. I made my reservation back in May for a 3 stay in August. We did take a drive down there but at the time the Curlew Pond area wasn't open yet. We will try again at some point because I'd really like to see our site. =) I am quite excited and already see the possibility for all those places we'd like to go that are too far for a day trip and would need an overnight stay. Now we could stay more nights for the same 1 night hotel room. = SWEET!
                          It wasn't open when we were there either (last Columbus Day weekend), but we parked at the gate and walked in. :-)

Comment

It's great to see more folks from Massachusetts on here!

Now that we've invested in utility trailer and don't need to use two cars, we can venture further from home. Myles Standish State Forest looks very nice and I think I'm going to put it on our list for next year!

Please post about your camping trips (pics would be nice too). Would love to hear how you like Myles Standish. :D

Comment

Good for you for trying camping! I won't repeat what everyone else has said, except that a propane stove is a great camping tool. Our first time camping on our own, my husband and I brought a hand-me-down camp grill but no stove. Yeah...really tough to do anything except grill on a grill! Kmart has been having some pretty good camping sales recently, so if you don't find a second hand stove, check there.

Oh, and if you haven't yet, set up your tent and seal the seams or spray it with waterproofing spray. It's cheap and doesn't take long to do. I have a hand-me-down generic Walmart tent that leaked like crazy, but after spraying it with waterproofer not a drop of water got in.

Comment

Working...
                              X