Oz Tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Oz Tent

Oz Tent I have looked at these in the past, I think they are awesome. Quick setup and tear down, multi configurable, and can be carried on a roof rack. I have considered getting one, they are expensive is one draw back. Take a look at the website, watch a video or two, and give me some opinions. Good, Bad, or Ugly what are your thoughts.
    Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Re: Oz Tent

Oh and I did a search, but the function brought up every thread with the word tent in it, every thread in the section I assume, sorry if the Oz tent has been brought up before.

Comment

Wow! Nice tent. Very pricy! I like that it sets up real quick.

Have you checked out http://www.kodiakcanvas.com/ or http://www.springbar.com/ canvas tents? They both seem to go up quickly and might be a little cheaper.
      "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
      ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

A good gust of wind from mother nature would turn it into a sail! Gotta use steel stakes and a few tie-downs. So that 30 second pitching is a little far-fetched. For a canvas tent it sure looks a little small. Ours is a Kodiak Cabin 9x12 with attached awning cost us about $750 and takes about an hour to stake and pitch. But if it's just for you and you only camp when the wind doesn't blow, it'll be fine. The Kodiak uses 1" circular steel tubing and has withstood 63 mph winds. Now that I've seen it, I think it may make a great huntin tent this fall cause I always solo camp to hunt or tag up with a friend who has a cab-over camper and it's really hard to move around in. He thinks I'm nuts for sleeping in a tent in late fall, and I agree with him. But that's what I like!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

The final product will take much longer to finally setup as in the picture, especially with the awning.
          No rain or shade fly makes it a non modern tent.

Comment

I would agree with the Old RDF on this one. The sides are too vertical.. The wind would want to blow thru instead of around. That design works with a wall tent but I use 60 stakes, and have tension lines staked every two feet or so along the sides of the tent. The OZ tent is ok as a novelity if you have a great wind break but I wouldn't trust it in weather. As far as a rain fly, I suppose you could drape a tarp over it. That's sporty! The design is actually an adaptation of the old ISQ pods. Montana Canvas still makes them. http://www.montanacanvas.com/additional-tents.php The pods butted up against a central wall tent or you could use them individually. My old scout troup had several of them in the 60's. I am not especially taken with the design. I'd keep shopping.
            FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

$1100 for the RV4.... No way in heck would I spend that on a tent! It is VERY neat, but I can set my 10x10 Colman dome up by myself in 15 minutes, including putting down the ground tarp and staking everything out. I'm sure the materials are higher quality and it has some great features, but... good grief, for that price it ought to gather fire wood, cook dinner, AND tell campfire stories!

Comment

Boy Guitarzan,
                I hate to tell you what I paid for my tent rig. With stove, it retails for about 5K. Your selection is dictated by how much time you spend in your tent. I live in mine for a month. It also depends on climate. If your Coleman works for you, that's great. A 10 X 10 wouldn't fit 20 percent of the stuff that I use. There are a couple of photos it in the photo section under "Last Years Hunting Camp"

Comment

Sorry, shouldn't have been blowin' off at the mouth like that. The price just seemed shocking for the size. I can understand spending that kind of money you spent on a tent for serious hunting and camping trips and for colder weather. I sure the heck aint going to try to spend a week long trip in my Coleman in 20* temps.

Comment

So what you guys are telling me it's not worth it in the long or short run with all the other options out there. It's good to know that honest opinions are shared on this site, makes equipment queries pretty valuable.

Comment

Never apologize for your opinion. What you expressed is what works for you. There are a lot of people that feel the way you do. What is fun about a site like this is you get exposed to many different types of camping.

Comment

But camping in a Kodiak Canvas tent with a Big Buddy Heater with temps even below zero and 6-10' of snow about, I live for that! Or in the autumn huntin too with temps in the 20s is also possible, just wear plenty of wool and never forget your headgear!
                        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Cost and value are both subjective. At the end of the day, it comes down to whether YOU the user are satisfied with it. If it takes a couple grand to satisfy a guy, then it's good value! Nuff said. :cool:
                          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

As the name suggests, they are from Oz and are used a lot for people who are touring. I have slept in one a couple of times, small but good for a couple. The best part is if you have been four wheeling around Oz all day you can set up quick for the night and then tear down quickly in the morning. Keep in mind that Australia is like the USA (same area as 48 states) but there isnt a great deal of anything once you are 5hrs west of the east coast. You can go for days of 4WD and not see anyone of any thing. Quite often the trip is the experience rather than going somewhere for a long time. My parents used theirs for a year as they toured round the country, they swear by it. The tents are very rugged and well constructed, the thing is not going to fall apart too readily. Remember they were originally designed for outback touring. Hope this helps to add some perspective of where they have come from. I have enjoyed seeing the differences in camping since moving to the states 6yr ago, as with most things, many are the same; some are crazy different. Seeing why the evolutional differences exist amazes and interests me greatly. In oz you dont have to deal with snow too often so it isnt really a planning factor. Very little hunting as a sport, again changes the reason for doing something..... Anyway, see you round the traps.
                            Total night under canvas 2012: 22

Comment

Working...
                            X