Tent camping in extreme heat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent camping in extreme heat

Is this tent good for an eight day stay at the kerrville Texas folk festival, where I expect it to be brutally hot with possible rainshowers at times?

http://www.rei.com/product/810030/ma...estone-6p-tent

It seems well ventilated, and also provides some privacy, which is also important.

Is this the right amount of mesh so that the interior wont be too sunny? I'll have the fly or a sheet or something to put over the tent, if needed, to block sunlight from coming in the top mesh.

There's a smaller 4 person version, but you cant stand up straight in that one, whereas the one I linked to above is tall enough for me to stand, which I think may be important during an eight day stay.

Re: Tent camping in extreme heat

Looks like a nice one to me. I have no experience with the tent but just looking at the pics it looks like it will offer some pretty good breeze on those warm summer nights. Might allow a good bit of sun in during the day if you were going to be inside without any extra or added shade.
    Los Cuernos Ranch on Facebook

Comment

Yes, I believe the tent will be everything you want it to be. However, just about every 3 season tent made today comes with a rain fly, some have 100% coverage while others have 80% or less coverage. Even-though the southwest ia still in the drought mode and plenty hot, if you don't attach the rain fly to the top of the tent in the evening hours then in the morning your sleeping bag may be covered in fine dew when you awake. Marmot's are outstanding tents! You should be happy for many years to come, rain or shine!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

You might want to look at the Big Agnes Bighouse 6. It offers about the same construction quality with a bit lower price (you pay for the Marmot name to some extent). Higher production numbers also mean more likelyhood of Ebay availability for discounts.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks tp.....I had forgotten about that tent...think that'll serve lauren better! Well done, thanks for chiming in! You do know tents very well!

Comment

Think SHADE. For eight days of camping, I would purchase or borrow an EZ UP shelter to pitch in front of your tent. It will give you someplace to sit out of the sun during the day and a place to cook if it rains.http://www.ezup.com/products/rec/dome2.shtml
            FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

thanks everyone

Comment

three words: battery powered fans.

Comment

The hottest I ever been tent camping was in July(1999) at Mesquite(Tent Only) cg at Death Valley CA! Temp was 121 degrees in the shade! In the sun 129 degrees. Camped three days! Late nights were okay with fans, slept on top of sleeping bag! Couldn't do enough to stay cool except leave during the morning and return at night to see the sights of Death Valley when no one except a few rangers were there! I erected tarps sturdily but the desert winds destroyed! Erected a portable shower stall and when in camp spent most of our time in there pouring water over ourselves. Death Valley NP basically shuts down during the summer months so many tourist attractions weren't open. We've returned many times but never in summer! Man, that was hot!!!!!!! Photography was great though during the golden hours of sunrise, sunset and the stars were impossible to count!

Comment

Working...
                  X