need a sleeping bag liner

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• need a sleeping bag liner

I finally gave in and bought a nice mummy sleeping bag. It's an LL Bean to 20 degrees and is synthetic filled. It's warm and fluffy and I like it lots...except that my legs sweat inside! I'm used to cotton lined bags, not polyester like this one (I think it's poly...not sure). I mainly use the sleeping bag for cabin camping at a summer camp where temps drop to 20-40 degrees in the spring and fall. I used it once this past fall and it was cold, and I was nice and toasty...and clammy.

I'd like a liner for it so I don't get all clammy. Suggestions? Should I get a silk liner? Make a cotton one out of a sheet? I don't have a ton to spend on it.

Re: need a sleeping bag liner

Take it back for a refund, they have a good store policy, and go online at ebay. Buy a Marmot goose down bag for around $120-180. Open the bottom zipper about 6". Open the top zipper about 8". You won't need a liner, it will be far less expensive vs. synthetic than a synthetic bag because of its durability and high loft, and best of all, as a natural insulater goose down "adjusts" to the sleeper. If you don't believe me, rent one at REI and try it for a weekend. You won't go back to synthetic bags! And if water absorbancy is an issue, buy a goretex cover.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

A thin fleece liner would likely work well, and give a few more degrees of warmth. I would avoid cotton especially in colder temps - "Cotton kills!"
      The liner will collect sweat, but it'll be much easier to wash than the entire bag. :cool:
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Well, we were at LL Bean this weekend, and they had a 20% off sale. (I didn't know we were going, or I would have brought the mummy bag with me to exchange.) We bought 2 of their camp bags that zip together. They'll be just right for us individually or to zip together. Much more comfy than the mummy bag, and SO much more comfy than our old Coleman sleeping bags. Slept in it last night because I could, and it was perfect. I listed the mummy bag on our school classifieds for what I paid for it and it sold in under a day! So I won't need a liner after all. I have a fleece liner already that I can use if it's colder out, and a sheet liner for summer time. The new bags aren't as compressible as the mummy bag is, but the camp bag will be perfect for what I really need it for. Yay! I would only use the mummy bag once or twice a year, and this one will be used year round. Yay again! (Oh, and I got purple for me, green for DH. I've always wanted a purple sleeping bag!)

Comment

ET, it sounds like you not only found what you were looking for, but saved some $$ in the process. Our Marmot Osprey semi-rectangular goose down bags zip together but we've rarely used them that way. What we do appreciate is the "couplet kit" that keeps our CampRest ThermaRest pads together. And it's nice to have a bit of extra room in a semi-rectangular!
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Working...
          X