Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tent recommendations?

Hey everyone,

I just started doing some tent shopping. After doing some initial research and reading the post about which tent size satisfies your needs (http://www.campingforums.com/forum/s...ies-your-Needs), I think I've finally narrowed down my options a bit.

Here's what I'm looking for:

* Weight - Something reasonably light - I'll be doing car camping and backpacking
    * Seasons - A 3 season tent is fine - I don't think I'll be camping in the tundra anytime soon, but I want to make sure it's highly waterproof - I'll have camera equipment in the tent
    * Capacity - I'll be doing some camping on my own and sometimes with a friend - so I guess that would mean I'm looking for a 3 person (based on the aforementioned post)
    * Doors - 2 is preferred
    * Price - Sub $300 is preferred, but would be willing to spend more for a good reason
    * Other - Freestanding is preferred and good sized vestibule(s)

I've looked at the Marmot Limelight 3 and I think it meets my needs. Anyone have any experience with this? Any other tents that would fit my criteria?

Thanks in advance,
    Brandon

Re: Tent recommendations?

I don't have a tent recommendation for you... I'll leave that to someone more knowledgable than I.

I do want to suggest that you invest in multiple layers of protection for your camera equipment. You can't rely on the tent itself to keep your gear safe... sometimes bad things happen (Unseen branch, racoon gnawing, UV wears out waterproofing, etc). We use a dry bag for our electronics (phones, cameras, GPS, kids toys), and it does a great job in keeping this stuff dry, even in tents.

Comment

And keep it out of sight too! And locked up in your vehicle! If you have read my profile page I'm a retired pro photog and I always carry camera an' protection. Nevada is an open carry State for firearms and when campin' I'm armed and have concealed permits likewise. In-side the main bag is protection...underneath the driver's seat another...and hikin a small arm on the hip with large caliber! Protect your gear! It's expensive! So too your loved ones! Be responsible! I have never used my protection except in bear country and then it was only a very large dose of pepper spray for a false charge! Campin in northern Montana in bear country you need to be prepared! Best policy for camera equipment is know where every piece is at all times! Most of the time it's under lock an' key!

Now for the tent recommends....you've done your homework quite good! Can't go wrong with a Marmot! For what you intend, it's a really great tent! Keep us posted with what you decide! Adios!
      Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-09-2011, 06:38 AM.
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

If you're looking for something guaranteed, check out LL Bean. They're having a sale right now and free shipping all the time!

Comment

Working...
        X