Can a sleeping GO BAD??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can a sleeping GO BAD??

I have a down sleeping bag rate 15 degrees that i bought 10 years ago...i made the mistake of keeping it in it's stuff sack completely compressed the entire 10 years except when i camp once a year...

This last year, the temperatures were in the hight 20s and i was freezing in my bag...i even wore endless layers of clothing to no avail...

My questions is...is the bag ruined? Is it time for a new bag before my yearly camping trip? Any help would be great...thank you!

Re: Can a sleeping GO BAD??

Sadly the answer is "Yes", only correctly put the bag didn't go bad, it was "damaged".

by storing it in the stuff sack the down lost it's loft from being compressed for so long.

Other's with more experience with down bags probably have better suggestions, but you might try this:

unroll the bag and fluff it up, toss it around, try to "fluff" it like a pillow, lay it out full-length in a warm toasty place - like in the sun for several hours, then go through the above fluffing step again and turn it over to lay out again, repeat twice more, trying to get the bags to lay on each side.

The purpose is to try to restore the loft to the down. But 10 yrs. in a stuff sack might be hard to repair.

Love to hear if this worked for you.

Comment

Most down bags are machine-washable, at least all of mine ( A16, MARMOT) are. I'd try washing yours (using about 25% normal detergent amount) and then drying them in the dryer on low. Keeps mine like new, high in loft, and a pair of them are over 23 years old. Damage can also result from storing ThermaRest pads in the rolled up position, but I have a feeling that goose down (down, not feathers) will be more forgiving.
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thank you very much for the info....you are definitely correct in that i damaged the bag...i didn't know that it would be irreparable however. I suppose i can try washing it, but after a decade of improper storage...the damage has been done and it's time for a new bag. Thank you everyone for your help...time to go shopping

I can't risk going on my camping trip and freezing like last year.

Comment

I'd give it a 30-60 minute spin thru a dryer with no heat and a pair of clean sneakers or golf balls to fluff it.
          Should that work just wash it as directed on the label.
          Tplife is right; less detergent is your friend in this application. Adding vinegar to the rinse cycle will cut out and detergent buildup and help rid ithe bag of any musty smell. Oh and you can use the dryer to refluff after it's washed again.

HTH
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

So what's the best way to store a sleeping bag? Unrolled? Never really thought of it.

Comment

Originally posted by shawnbebout View Post
              So what's the best way to store a sleeping bag? Unrolled? Never really thought of it.
              loosely folded or rolled

Comment

Working...
              X