Best tent for single parent?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best tent for single parent?

I'm a single mom and want to introduce my "almost 5 year old" to the joys of camping. I have a small dome tent, but I want to get something a step up (or higher) that will fit an air mattress and that can be set up by myself. I am overwhelmed with the types of tents that are out there and thought someone with experience might be able to get me in the right direction.

It would be nice to have a tent with a divider. One side for gear, one side for air mattress. But again, I don't want it too big that I can't set it up myself.

Any suggestions on what type of tent to go with?

Also any tips on first time camping trips? I think I'll stay local and keep my supply list limited until I can get organized well. I was thinking of using a basic camping check list and keeping food and drinks to "picnic" style until I can get the hang of trying to manage this by myself with a 5 year old in tow.

I'm excited about warmer weather approaching and hopefully a new hobby to enjoy with my son.

Thanks,

Re: Best tent for single parent?

It sounds like you'll have a wonderful time! I'm a newbie, so others will chime in re the tent. Being a solo female camper -- yes, make sure the height is not so tall that you can't get the poles assembled or the fly on it. Also consider the weight of whatever you purchase, you'll want to be able to drag it out of your car wherever you're putting it up.

I suggest staying local too, so in case things don't turn out well you can just pack up and go home. In my region, there are several county parks with campgrounds -- ideal for local residents to get outdoors, yet close to home. Maybe choose a campground that has family activities, like a water center / swimming pool?

You may also want to think of some way to keep your son occupied while you're setting up, so he doesn't wander off.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Here's a suggestion, kinda like a dome but more versatile check it out.

http://camping.4balance10.com/eureka...rson-tent/?amp

If you have a backyard you could spend one night there, very close to the house and the conveniences and security of being in familiar surroundings will work wonders on your 5 year old. It would also give a place to practice pitching and striking the tent on your own. Also having sleeping bags and sleeping in them in the living room is also a good way to introduce a child into the joys of camping. When you do venture out, stay relatively close to home like a state park. Getting organized is a gradual thing. Don't want it to be a bad experience, the first time out. Sounds like you have things under control, just remember that every campout is just practice for the next one. Good luck! It'll be great seeing what other great campateers here have to say! Welcome to CF!
      Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
      Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I don't have personal experience with the new Coleman instant tents, but I've read some good reviews. There are a couple different sizes this year. I have an older, small Coleman dome tent that has all the poles attached. It sets up in under a minute. I really like it but it's quite small, 7x7 I think. We wanted something bigger we could stand up in, so last spring I bought a Columbia Bugaboo II from the Bargain Cave at Cabela's. I can set it up by myself. It's a modified dome shape. 4 poles total. Putting the fly on alone is difficult. I have to use a step stool if I put it on alone. If you purchase at a place like Cabela's, they will let you set it up in the store. I wanted to be able to put up my tent alone, and they let me set it up in the firearms department!

If I were to pick a tent to set up alone, I'd choose the Coleman instant tent, or one of the domes with only 2 poles. http://www.coleman.com/coleman/colem...d=11020&brand= I know some folks aren't fan of Coleman products, but I've had excellent luck with them. They're fairly affordable for someone starting out, too. The Coleman I linked above is the same shape as mine, only mine is small. My rainfly goes a bit farther down, closer to the ground. We've survived many a thunderstorm in that little tent without a drip of rain.

A friend has a store brand tent, either Walmart or Kmart. She only uses it once or twice a year. It's a good size, just right for 2 people and their gear. It had to be sprayed with waterproofer before use. It leaked like crazy before she sprayed it! Once it was sprayed, it hasn't leaked since. So if you want a cheap tent for your first season to see if you like camping, that might be a way for you to go. Then if you like camping, sell the bargain tent and upgrade next summer!

Some that look decent: http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Su...-Tent/13848688 and http://www.walmart.com/ip/Ozark-Trai...-Tent/14089866

Comment

I hate to hijack this topic, but Englishteacha, how well do you like your Columbia Bugaboo II? I just bought one this spring and haven't gotten it out of the box yet. Have you had any leaks with it? Would you recommend spraying it for additional waterproofing?

Back on topic, I would recommend at least a 3 person tent. The last tent I had was a 3 person dome. I had gotten it like EnglishTeacha had suggested, on clearance years ago and have used it the last few seasons. I think it can hold 2 adults somewhat comfortably, but it largely depends on how much supplies you have with you. One other thing to consider is ventilation. I prefer being cold, so good ventilation is key for me.

Comment

Huricanelane, I like my Bugaboo II, but I haven't actually gotten to sleep in it yet! We set it up in the backyard and it withstood a huge torrential rainfall without any leaking. (The instructions say NOT to spray it with waterproofer. I did seal the seams on the floor, though.) We used the stakes that came with it because we were only planning on leaving it up for a short while. We had to leave it up longer because it kept raining, and in a huge gust of wind it blew away and got caught in my cherry tree. (I was so mad. My tent was only a day old!) It was empty when it went for its flight, and my husband retrieved it and said it almost lifted him away in the wind. It survived just fine, but got a few small pinholes in the fly. I patched the rainfly, but I also contacted the company, who were very gracious and sent me a new fly! I now have much better stakes, and we used rebar when we set it back up to check it. Friends slept in it this summer in our yard and LOVED it. They want one now! We've got one trip planned for this summer so far, and 2 tentative trips.

Comment

Thank you EnglishTeacha for all your homework on links. I appreciated seeing the links. I have been looking at a Coleman Stockton at WM. It seems like a reasonable price, but not sure how easy it would be to set up. I'm also wondering if it's just more tent than we need. I like the room in it, I just don't want to get something that would be difficult to set up or find room for when pitching.:confused:

Comment

You might try the http://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Su...ndingMethod=rr dome tent if you are shopping at WM. The dome will do better in wind and it has a smaller footprint for the two of you. Whatever you buy, set it up in your backyard first to make sure you know what you are doing and you have all the parts before you tackle the campout.
                Good luck,
                Mike
                FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

There are only 2 of us, and our tent is supposedly for 5 people. When there are both of us and our stuff, there's not a ton of room to move around. I'd do as Mike B suggests and purchase a tent and try it in the yard. (I set mine up in Cabela's firearms dept. before I bought it!) If it's too hard, return it and try another. If you're camping at an established campground, I don't think you need to worry much about the size of the tent or room to pitch it. If you're planning on roughing it, then a smaller square/rectangle might be a better choice. If I were buying a tent right now, I'd probably get the Coleman Sunlight Ridge Mike B linked to. The Coleman Sunlight Ridge has only 2 main poles then one for the fly. It's on sale for $75 at WM. You could try it, and if it's too big/difficult, WM had a good return policy.

Comment

Me again! Just letting you know that last year at this time, Sports Authority had some of the previous season's Coleman tents on sale for really good prices. (I had bought my Columbia Bugaboo that same day at Cabela's. If I'd been to Sports Authority first, I probably would have bought the Coleman.)

Comment

Well, I think I may have found our tent...seems like a good price on the Coleman Instant Tent 6. $108 this week at Shopko.

I appreciate everyone's input and would still appreciate any tips. Thanks.

Comment

Thought I would pop on with an update. I took some of your advice and we camped in our backyard last weekend. My son loved "camping". Of course, I didn't appreciate the city noise so much...but we had a good practice with an overnight in a tent.

I am really happy with the Coleman Instant Tent. It took me less than 5 minutes to set it up myself and maybe a little longer to take it down. I see those times improving with practice too. The tent says it sleeps 6 and fits 2 queen air mattresses. I would say it comfortably would sleep 4 people. One raised queen air mattres and one twin air mattress(or two floor sleepers). With just the two of us camping, it will fit the queen mattress on one side and clothing/ gear on the other side just fine. Now I just need to get some practice with packing/organizing and figuring out our check list. I am certain it will be a lot of work, but hopefully with practice it will come easier. I'll try to post a picture. Hopefully it will work.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Coleman Tent 2011.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	97.5 KB
ID:	69326

Comment

That's great! Glad your mini-adventure went well. Your son really looks happy.
                          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Updates please! Do you like your Instant Tent? I've been coveting them, and Meijer has them on sale. I totally don't need it but man, they're cool.

Comment

You will need to seal the seams or go the lazy route (like me) and put a tarp over the top. I have the Coleman Instant 8 Tent, that we purchased directly from Coleman last year. We got a good deal on it and we really like it.

We get ours up in less than two minutes. It takes longer to stake it and the guy lines down, and then set up our handy dandy Wally World tarp. We have stayed completely dry in severe downpours and have had no issues in 50 mph gusts (see pic below).

"Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
                              ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Working...
                              X