Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Secluded car camping on the water

Hi all,

A few years ago, we car-camped in Hiawatha National Forest at a "dispersed" campsite. We had to drive 2 miles down a dirt road to get there, and it was all by itself and sat right on a small lake.

This experience set a new bar for me in terms of car camping. There I times I enjoy the comradeary of large campsites and seeing all the fires burn at night and the casual coffee chats in the morning. But there are other times that I camp and just don't want to see another human.

I'm looking for recommendations for other campsites like the one I had in Hiawatha. I live in chicagoland, and would be open to anything within ~20 hour drive. My key criteria are 1) secluded, and 2) on the water.

Tx!
    adam

Re: Secluded car camping on the water

Well, I don't know if Maine is too far for you, but there are several places in Maine like what you describe, between our state park campgrounds, some private campgrounds, and some that are in the North Maine Woods or along the Allagash.

Comment

Most national forest and state forest lands allow dispersed camping. Check the individual forest's web site. I'm sure you can find places a LOT closer to your home than anything I can recommend... But since you said 20 hours, I'll offer a few suggestions. Perhaps if you don't use them, someone else may.

I think you can get to Central NC in about that time...

Do a few online searches for Badin Lake, near Ablemarle, NC. It's in the Uhwarrie National Forest, which allows dispersed camping. Fishing is excellent. I've only camped there by boat, but some of the places have dirt road access as well. 4WD recommended STRONGLY, and a small one at that (Wrangler/ FJ size)

Alternately, Pennsylvania is probably in your range. The Alleghenny National Forest has lots of excellent dispersed camping, many on wild trout rivers. I've camped on a beautiful creek near Oil City, PA in the forest there, about 1/4 mile down a dirt path from a parking area.

My personal experiences are limited to those areas.. Many more options are available if you want to do backpack camping, but my understanding is that you want someplace you can pretty much drive to.

Comment

Scouting for a camping spot is just like scouting for a hunting spot. You identify the general area you would like to scout and get out the maps. Then you look for public land and look up the camping restrictions. Once you center on an are, you look for roads, water sources, trails, wildlife warnings, fire restrictions etc.
        If everything looks ok, take a drive and get your boots on the ground. Scout out locations. Asking "Where should I camp?" is like asking another hunter, "Where should I hunt?" Others can give you generalities (and this site is liberal with good advise) but the search for a new spot is one of the best parts of camping.
        FlashLantern turns your flashlight into a lantern!

Comment

Originally posted by EnglishTeacha View Post
          Well, I don't know if Maine is too far for you, but there are several places in Maine like what you describe, between our state park campgrounds, some private campgrounds, and some that are in the North Maine Woods or along the Allagash.
          Does Maine spray for mosquitoes at the state parks?
          "Why is it inflationary if the people keep their own money and spend it the way they want to and it's not inflationary if the government takes it and spends it the way it wants to?"
          ~ Ronald Reagan, June 11, 1981

Comment

Working...
          X