Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Need some advice about a tent I just bought (Magellan Kings Canyon)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need some advice about a tent I just bought (Magellan Kings Canyon)

Greetings all... First post.

Background: Mid 40's, been camping since my childhood, my wife and I had tent camped for years. We had a great pop up for 3 years, but sold it last year so that we could buy a pontoon boat (one toy at a time). So it's back to tents for me.

My 2 sons are now boy/cub scouts, and I sometimes go camping with them when they car camp. I'm way too large (6'7" 300lbs) to fit in a backpack tent, so I bring a family dome tent and camp that way.

Well, on my last camping trip last year, I noticed that my 10+ year old dome tent had some tears, and decided it was time for a new one. I went to a local sporting goods auction, where they sell what is generally customer returned goods, and I was able to buy a large (6 person?) but oddly shaped tent. I'll get a picture of it perhaps tomorrow when I seam seal it. The tent has 3 poles, an arch/dome in front, and two that run from the front corners to the rear middle, giving some kind of odd pentagon shape to the tent.

The tent is called a Magellan Kings Canyon. I found that Magellan is the store brand for Academy Sports (they don't have any of these in North Carolina, where I live, so I can't question the store directly), but I can't find anything online at all about this tent. I can see some links to a "kings canyon II" from them, which is a 2 man backpacking tent. This tent is much bigger, and completely differently shaped.

My first question is whether anyone has ever heard of this type of tent, and if so, if they can share any type of details, especially manual and/or reviews. If anyone has better luck finding info about this on the net, please let me know that as well.

Thanks for the help

th

Re: Need some advice about a tent I just bought (Magellan Kings Canyon)

Biglenr, welcome to CF....here is a link to a manual on how to set up the tent you purchased.

http://www.academy.com/images/manual...an/23_001b.pdf

And here's a link to a great many other manuals that anyone might find helpful.

http://www.academy.com/index.php?pag...&lnkSRC=HEADER
    Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-15-2011, 02:56 AM.
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Thank you... Unfortunately, that is the Kings Canyon II tent. Not sure why they even used the same name, as the tents are not even remotely similar.

I do appreciate the effort in trying to help.

I contacted the company via email, and apparently the tent I have is a prototype that they never decided to manufacture, which is how it probably wound up in that sporting goods auction.

Oh well, I'll get my $15 out of it.

Comment

Okay! Glad you found something out!

If you ever pitch it to go camping or not, take a few photos of it and post them up...would like to see it!
        That is if you take the trouble to pitch it. Good luck, hope too that you stick around and stay active with campin chat? The more the merrier and our knowledge base grows!
        Last edited by renodesertfox; 03-15-2011, 11:23 AM.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Yes, I will be happy to post pictures of it. I'll be using it 3 straight weekends beginning the 25th, so I'll have opportunities.

And yes, i will hang around. Read a lot, learned a lot. I probably have some to add as I camp about 20-30 nights a year, and I have some suggestions and even some good campfire recipes to share.

Comment

Welcome to the group/forum.

Comment

FWIW.... Here's pics of the tent. It's an odd shape, a half dome in front, then tapering like an antique car in the back...

Camped the last two weekends, it only drizzeled a bit, and it was dry. Lots of room for me and my two sons, but the way we camp, that's about the max size to fit in the tent and be Click image for larger version

Name:	tent 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.7 KB
ID:	69261comfortable. If my wife joined us, I'd probably banish my older son (12) to his boy scout tent (Eureka Solitaire) so that we'd all be comfortable.

Click image for larger version

Name:	tent1.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	91.1 KB
ID:	69260

Comment

Working...
              X