No announcement yet.

What Size of Tent Satisfies your Needs?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What Size of Tent Satisfies your Needs?

Howdy Campateers! If we are about to purchase a tent we need to clear up the dilemma of what size of tent will suit our needs the best. If we prefer camping alone then we can find a 1 man tent. If we love to travel with our family, then the 4 man tent is a great choice. If we are planning to have camping trips with more then4 friends then the 6 man tent will be great for you.

But we should also consider the type of outdoor activity involved with our camping. Like for example, if we are going on a hiking trip, it is not convenient to carry a large size tent because it will be heavy to carry around. If we are making the trip by our car, we can bring along a larger tent for our camping. It will give us more comfort and commodity and still we would not have to carry it on our own.

When we are buying a tent we also need to check the size of the tent by measuring it because sizes can vary with different manufacturers. It is advisable to have a look at as many different types and sizes of tens as we can so that we can reach the final decision easier. If we a looking for quality, then we need to check the material it is made of. Usually strong materials are used with the quality tents. Strong materials are combined with solid structure elements which will hold up the tent even in harsh weather conditions.

Some models can come with easy installation features. This can really save us some time while camping. Some may come with other additional commodities such as mesh windows for better ventilation and for keeping away the mosquitoes. We can check different additional features and decide which one is good to have on our tent. This is just some small chat to get the ball rolling if you're thinking about purchasing and choosing the RIGHT tent for you and your loved ones. The last time I looked, this is still a forum so your $0.02 is worth-while here too! Post up to add information or a comment! Remember, every campout is just practice for the next one! Get campin!...yeah, I know gas prices are out-the-door, but that won't stop us chattin about it! Good luck, chip in, if you have a mind too! Thanks for looking and spending some minutes with us!:cool:
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Re: What Size of Tent Satisfies your Needs?

I'm a newbie and started out with a 2-person tent (for myself) during the summer season, when it was warm enough to hang around the campsite.
    But when I started colder weather/shorter days camping & found that I'd be in a tent ~12 hours at a time, I indulged in a 3-person tent. I loved having the extra space for books, journal, laptop, additional warm clothes; I didn't feel overly confined.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

We have a 6 person tent. I went with the guidance that you should double the amount actually sleeping in the tent. It's perfect for us. There's enough room for our air mattress and for our pack n play plus keeping our clothes at the end of the bed and room in front of the door to be able to walk in and out easily.
      May you always have love to share,
      Health to spare
      And friends that care.

Comment

A tent is a large purchase to some. You need to take into account how many people will sleep in the tent. What is your means of transporting the tent.

A good rule of thumb is to if Get a tent that has a capacity of one person more than you will be sleeping.
        If you have 3 people sleeping in the tent get atleast a four person tent.

this will allow you space to store all your gear.

commonjoe

Comment

I'm an unabashed space hog :D.
          Using a 15*12 tent rated for up to 12 peeps (What?! Do they stack 'em like cords o'wood?!) for a maximum of 4 adults and 1 toddler. Lot's of aisle space on every side w/o disturbing anyone. Perfectly happy when it's only 2 of us.
          2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
          Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I have a 4 man dome tent, but i would actually like to get a large one so i can hang out in it comfortably in case of rain.

Comment

I've found that the "man" rating on a tent is a true fiction, but I'm oversized, and I don't want to touch anyone when sleeping

I found that you need to divide by 2. If you want room for a family of 4, you need an 8 man tent. Similarly, a 2 man tent really fits one person and their gear.

My 12 year old uses the Eureka Solitaire tent when backpack camping. It's a 1 man, and at 5'6" he fills it. The poles are poorly designed, they break, and you replace them with slightly thicker ones (6.5mm factory poles, replacements are 8mm).

For a family of 4, we generally will set up 2 dome tents, both 9x9 so that we have plenty of room when it's raining. And it always seems to rain when we go camping.

Comment

Totally depends I picked up this two room 4 person for $15 a yard sale. I have a Coleman 2 person from when I used to fight fire. I love the two room for shear space, but the Coleman was nice as it was compact and easy to setup. I am finding though, that my car is just far more comfortable then both.

Comment

I have several from 8X7 to 17X10. I like my 10X12 for 2 but anymore I'll go for the big ones. As stated the room is nice.

Comment

Working...
                  X