Sticky rain fly

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sticky rain fly

I have an LL Bean geodesic tent that I bought in '90. It spent the last 16 years in storage - was very dry and clean when I put it away, but never really had an occasion to use it since '94. I pulled it out for a trip this past weekend and found the coated side of the rain fly was stuck together. I gentle peeled it apart, but it still remains very tacky. I dusted it with corn starch, which is what I use to keep the latex seals on my dry suit from sticking, but it didn't work very well. Anyone have some suggestions for fixing the problem? It's a great tent and it's in very good condition, considering its age and all it's been through.

Re: Sticky rain fly

I wouldn't worry about it, I've seen it in my older tent and it's not affecting performance. Haven't discovered a way to eliminate it, so I just don't worry about it! Probably over time, the materials are beginning to change/delaminate/oxidize and as a result stick together - think of reading an old newspaper that sticks together after it gets damp and then dried. After all, a quality tent is like an old friend - you both "stick together" until the end! :cool:
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Re: Sticky rain fly

Thin vinyl coating do that. You oughta see the inside of my Alice pack - looks like a snake shedding it's skin!

Like TP said, it still works fine! :cool:
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Working...
      X