My new canvas tent

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new canvas tent

Well the snow finally melted off the yard enough for me to setup my new 12x14 canvas tent. I really needed to figure out if I could set it up myself, or with my 4 year old daughter "helping". Or if I needed to downsize. I color coded the 1"emt poles with phase tape (colored electrician's tape). That ended up being helpful, cause I could tell her to "bring me a red one". Happy to say that it was light enough (under 100 pounds of canvas) that I was able to do it easily myself. I still need to shrink it and apply some water repellant to it, but the temps aren't quite warm enough for a long period of time for that. It will sleep 4 people with cots (and sleeping pads) and I don't think I will have to buy another for quite some time.
    I also picked up a M1941 potbelly stove to heat it with. I picked a conversion kit for the stove, now it will burn just about anything. Wood, coal, gas, diesel or even waste vegetable oil.
    Now I just have to have a couple of warm days so I can wet it down and dry it properly .
    Click image for larger version

Name:	tent 002.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	88.2 KB
ID:	72404Click image for larger version

Name:	tent 003.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	83.1 KB
ID:	72405

Re: My new canvas tent

Shawn, that's a nice semi-permanent setup - deer hunter style tent. I was puzzled as to why you would sleep on cots, but then I noticed that the tent has no floor - and it's good to be well above the high-tide mark! And I did get a good chuckle from seeing a pad over a cot... :rolleyes:
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
      And I did get a good chuckle from seeing a pad over a cot... :rolleyes:
      I was at Sportsman's Warehouse the other day looking at their Thermarest pads and noticed that they had sleeping pads on the display cots. I've never slept on a cot before so I have no idea how comfortable they are.
      May you always have love to share,
      Health to spare
      And friends that care.

Comment

I have a snap floor, but underneath the blue tarp is still a little snow and ice. So I didn't want to put a canvas floor down yet. The pads on top of the cots is very comfortable.

TP, did you notice I have a kick butt stove to heat the tent with?

Comment

Absolutely Shawn...everybody has wood stoves hitched up to their fireplace flues where I hail from - to save $$ on heating oil...Even TP has a kerosene heater in his abode, bought out of state due to emission regulations in San Diego County CA.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Nice looking tent and even better looking cots...I'm on a cot buying roll right now :D.
            Do you 4 or 3 season camp?
            2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
            Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Working...
            X