2 Tent Questions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2 Tent Questions

Hey gang, I'm finally getting ready to pull the trigger on a new tent. I'm looking at something in the 10x10 range that will be used by me and my chickee. I'd appreciate any input on the following items. *Are there any issues with a tall tent? 6-1/2 - 7 ft? *I can get a 15% discount at REI. How are their tents? Thanks in advance, arturo

REI only carries quality gear and you won't be misled. Great return policy too! I'd not go larger than a 6-man since you're two, 4-man would be good also but then maybe you can use the extra room. Don't let the price of quality fool you, remember that lifetime guarantees mean you only have to buy this tent once. If you're hesitant about how many times you'll actually go, I'd either get a lower-priced tent or head for a big-box retailer. The only issues with tall tents are wind integrity, and most campers just don't encounter those extremes.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

I would shop around for sure. There are a lot of great deals on the internet, so don't be led into thinking that every purchase is best from a chain store, etc... Did that already and very disappointed. Research what characteristics make a good quality tent and then shop around. Any place you go just puts you one step closer to the great outdoors. My motto is the more room you have in the tent the better.

Comment

So I guess you never shopped at REI, John B.? Welcome to the forum! I too wrote many articles on choosing and/or purchasing a tent. If you read a few pages back then you'll find mine, with a lot more detail. But thank you for posting your and sharing your blog with us!I apologize from the get go if this isn't a competition at who has the better article on tent purchasing! Purchasing a good tent is one of the main topics here and chain-stores, ie...REI is actually a cooperative and is a lot different and a lot better than most! REI is a brand anyone can trust, by cracky!
        Last edited by renodesertfox; 10-14-2010, 12:51 PM.
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

I have shopped at REI and not a great fan at this time. Also a member at REI, but never received too much out of the membership either. I did not believe this was a contest on article content or where to shop, just mentioned to shop around and find the best deal on the equipment needed. Take home point is to educate yourself and make the right decision for YOU! I guess many different campers with many different opinions out there....Thanks for the welcome...Remember big tent is better than cramped tent...

Comment

We just returned a 5 year old tent single person tent to REI last week and got a new one. We own two of this particular tent from REI and have had no problems with either of them until the zipper came apart in this one.

FYI - If you are a member of REI, they keep a list of ALL of your purchases on file, so you don't even need to worry about keeping receipts - Yes, we are members. If interested, as members, at year's end you are entitled to what basically amounts to a 10% check on the value of the retail sales you made through REI - they are a coop.

And, yes, we do find better deals on comparable equipment at other places, but we also shop at REI.
            Chuck
            So. Oregon
            TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
            TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
            SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Thanks for all the replies! I've got my sights on the REI Hobitat 6. It's 8 x 10', close to 7' tall with vertical-ish walls. Reg $300, marked down to $220. Seems like a good deal, especially with that warranty. My SWMBO is a member.

Comment

Originally posted by arturo7 View Post
                Thanks for all the replies! I've got my sights on the REI Hobitat 6. It's 8 x 10', close to 7' tall with vertical-ish walls. Reg $300, marked down to $220. Seems like a good deal, especially with that warranty. My SWMBO is a member.
                WOW! I think you picked a winner, not only in quality tent, but the price is perfect. You should have many years of use out of it, and plenty of room:D
                Chuck
                So. Oregon
                TRAIL NAME:Billy's Buddy
                TRAIL POUNDER:Backcountry/higher elevations of Trinity, Marble, Siskiyou, and Cascade Mountains
                SHARE TRAIL WITH:Billy Bob (llama), Squeaky (Dog), and sometimes with Susan (Partner/wife/friend)

Comment

Lots of campers forget, not so campateers, that REI keeps track of anyone's purchases...if you ever have a problem with a tent(I've even taken back problem tents not even folded properly...they'll exchange it for a similar model...no questions asked!....Well, they'll ask what happened, so ya tell 'em! They will still replace said item exactly or a similar model. But note: they do not sell canvas tents, at least not any chains near I.

Sure we purchase campin stuff from other sources, who doesn't, but REI is fabulous!

Comment

I also shop at REI. They generally have knowledgeable staff, who actually go and do outdoorsy things! :eek:

Sometimes, I even spend more at REI for something I could get online for less, but I am one who prefers to spend locally (even at chains) whenever I can.

I have read up a bit on the tent you chose, and I would expect it to perform very well for you.
                    Nights spent outside in 2012: 4

Life is a verb.

Comment

An outstanding selection! My only gripe is that the vestibule is sold seperately, but what the hey. Get ready for decades of fun with this top-shelf choice!
                      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                        Lots of campers forget, not so campateers, that REI keeps track of anyone's purchases...if you ever have a problem with a tent(I've even taken back problem tents not even folded properly...they'll exchange it for a similar model...no questions asked!....Well, they'll ask what happened, so ya tell 'em! They will still replace said item exactly or a similar model. But note: they do not sell canvas tents, at least not any chains near I.

Sure we purchase campin stuff from other sources, who doesn't, but REI is fabulous!
                        RDF, I've seen where you shop for tents...The Smithsonian Institute!
                        Sorry, couldn't help myself, just ribbin' ya! :D

Tplife's no stranger to canvas, first campout, 1960:

Comment

Congrats on the new purchase. We don't have an REI store near us in pa. I have owned a coleman. It leaked. I then bought a walmart brand tent. Junk. Have witnessed 400 dollar tents leak. My first ever tent was a Northwest Territory ( Kmart Brand) pup tent. Used that one in the boy scouts for 4 years, then another 3 years after. Gave that one to my brother in law. He still uses it!!! With no leaks. The newest tent (pictured) we have is going on 6 years old, and still like new, and no leaks. Perfect size for my wife, son and me. Able to stand in it also. It is also a northwest territory that qe got on sale for like 80 bucks.

Comment

Bummer news on the Hobitat. I guess it is more of a summer tent than 3 season. This model has 2 vents that run the entire length of each side about a foot or so off the ground. Unfortunately, these vents do not have a flap. .................................................. .............. .......... ..... . Since most of our camping will be in the mountains or at at the beach, and my SWMBO is of a reptilian nature, this tent won't cut it. The only way to close the vents is with the rainfly. Bummer, I was really looking forward to this purchase. .................................................. .... ...................... Oh well, back to the Search.... .......................................... ............. The top option right now is the Eureka Carbon Canyon 10. Seems like a decent tent, but it may not be the same quality as the Hobitat....... .................. . I would welcome any suggestions....................................... ............. cheers............................................ .................................................. ...................................(Sorry for the mess! How in the snot do you a paragraph break on this forum??? this is quite annoying)
                            Last edited by arturo7; 10-15-2010, 12:59 PM.

Comment

To answer your question on paragraphs breaks and so forth....Go to "User CP", click that. Then scroll down to where you see edit options. Click on that. A long dialog box will appear. Go all the way to the bottom, the heading will say: Miscellaneous Option.

In Miscellaneous Options you have three choices for an editor. You have basic, standard and advanced. Select advance....save that page and you're good to go!

When a company sells nylon tents they are all 3 season tents. There isn't a big difference between a summer tent and a 3 season tent. They are one in the same.

Comment

Working...
                              X