first time campers looking for advice

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• first time campers looking for advice

I've only ever done car camping where I can pretty take everything and the kitchen sink with me, so I am looking for advice on what's the right checklist of stuff I need to bring for an upcomping camping trip to the White Mountains in NH during early October.

Here's what I have:
    Tent (two person, three season tent with rain fly and footprint)
    Sleeping bag (30degree mummy style back from REI)
    Sleeping pad (purists please go easy on me
    Pack

I am guessing I will also need a small stove and pot in which to cook some freeze dried food (easiest and lightest I am guessing), water bottles and water and appropriate clothing

It will be two overnights (friday and saturday) with some light hiking during the days.

There will be three adult males (including myself) on the trip, so advice on food is greatly appreciated - how much per person per day?

Also - what are the general guidelines on standard gear? first aid, etc.?

I am guessing there's a site out there somewhere that has a gear list but I can't seem to find a comprehensive one.

any help is greatly appreciated.

I have been campin several times in the alaska backcountry and i have found that there are some basic gear items that seem to make life easier.

1, Tent: finding a good tent that is large enough for your needs, lightweight and weather proof is what drives the industry. I am always trying to keep up with the new tents out there. Some of the best i have found are the Bibler tents. check them out. here http://www.bdel.com/gear/shelter_overview.php

2. Sleeping bag: the two main things to look for in a Sleeping bag are warmth and pack size. my friend recently purchased an 15 degree REI sub Kilo bag and that thing packs up to the size of a large grapefruit. Down bags tend to pack up smaller, be warmer and of course be more expensive.

3. A pack that fits right will save you from becoming uncomfortaboul and developing blisters on the trail. I am currently trying to talk myself into shelling out the coin for the North Face Primo 70. http://www.rei.com/product/763926
    The waterproof feature is nice as well.

4. A sleeping pad. Although a sleeping pad is not esential it sure makes for a good nights rest. If you can find one that packs up samll and light, even one that is only 1" thick it will improve your night significantly.

5. a good jacket. A jacket that is wind and water proof are nice to have. Softshells give you comfort throught a wide temperature range. My favorite jacket brand is ArcTeryx, they are acanadian based company and they dont skimp on anything. there jackets are bomb proof. and their price tag reflects it. (hence the reason i do not have one.

As far as the camp stove issue, i personaly dont use one. I figure a small firestarer is much easier to cary. And if you really want a fire, you can always start one, even with wet gras and wood. trust me.

For cooking we usualy bring a large can of beens or some other food of your choice. Then i take some ramen and break it up and cook it and eat it in the can that the beens were in. (if you take a can of somethign remember to get the kind with the top that peels open or remember a can opener. opening a can with a knife sucks)

*Thake a leatherman they are the toughfest multi tool around.
    *A water purifier saves you for having to pack around alot of water.

Comment

Working...
    X