What do you do when it rains?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What do you do when it rains?

I love tent camping, it just seems be the right way to camp :D But I'm curious what others do when it rains.

I've been pretty fortunate when it comes to camping, haven't been rained out many times. I can remember once when I was a kid, my dad and I were camping and it starting pouring rain during the night. We ended up sleeping in the bed of the truck (under the truck topper). A couple summers ago, I was camping with my husband and kids when it started raining during the night. We just slept on. Rain didn't come through the roof of the tent, but it did seep in around the edges and we had puddles of water in the corners by morning.

So what do you guys do when it rains? Run for the car or tough it out?

Originally posted by CampingFam View Post
    I love tent camping, it just seems be the right way to camp :D But I'm curious what others do when it rains.

I've been pretty fortunate when it comes to camping, haven't been rained out many times. I can remember once when I was a kid, my dad and I were camping and it starting pouring rain during the night. We ended up sleeping in the bed of the truck (under the truck topper). A couple summers ago, I was camping with my husband and kids when it started raining during the night. We just slept on. Rain didn't come through the roof of the tent, but it did seep in around the edges and we had puddles of water in the corners by morning.

So what do you guys do when it rains? Run for the car or tough it out?
    The key with us was the the ground cover. Scouts taught me to make sure the tents ground cover was rolled all the way under the tent. No little ends to stick out to capture the rain.

We have a pop-up now so rain is not too much of an issue, except boredom. Uno Cards help us.
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

Cards, a good book with new batteries in the lantern or flashlight. I tent camp to get away from the hustle and bustle of everyday life, so I really don't mind a little rain once in a while. As a matter of fact, I think my oldest son came along 9 months after a rainy camp out...

Comment

I've been camping in everything from trip long deluges to light sprinkles. The short answer is come prepared for it and enjoy it. You can enjoy the rain as much as dry weather if you're prpared to be flexible in your plans. I always carry a deck of cards and a good book to read. Heavy rains open up new creeks and rills with great photo ops at what was just a dry ditch. Rainy hikes can be fun even without rain gear if its warm enough. Also can you say "crowd relief" and increased solitude. Often fishing is great in the rain. Wet leaves and grass make for quiet wildlife viewing (bad idea in bear country). Rain just changes the outing. It doesn't mean an end to it.

Comment

Howdy,
          Play dominoes because when someone loses it's no big deal! And enjoy the rain!
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Re: What do you do when it rains?

A wide brimmed hat, a raincoat, and an extra pair of dry pants and shoes waiting for my return to camp - and then I do everything I would do if it was not raining. I go hiking, fishing, swimming - all in the rain.

I suppose reading a book or playing games in the tent is alright, but spending countless hours inside a very small confined area is not my idea of fun.

It surprises me how many people avoid rain as if it would melt them. Rain should not keep you indoors.

A big part of the secret to enjoying the outdoors in the rain is a wide brimmed hat. It makes such a huge difference - keeps your head dry, and even keeps your glasses dry. The old timer who spent a lot of time outdoors had it figured out.

Gloves also seem to make a big difference. If you use a pair of fisherman's gloves with the rubberized palms, you can grip better than bare-handed and your hands are a bit warmer and more comfortable than without gloves.
            Last edited by Mike; 11-01-2013, 10:01 AM.

Comment

Helly Hansens. A decent tent. Bring a free standing tarp to keep a fire going and build a fire under it. I like to cook complicated meals when it rains. After living in WA state one learns to ignore the rain and accept it. Try to put your fire wood under cover. A fire is very cheery in the rain and helps dry everything out.

I remember a sea kayak trip in Sept in the San Juan Islands. We had some serious rain for several days. I met some guys that had just spent the summer working in SE Alaska. They built a tall criss-crossed log fire during a deluge. I could feel the heat thru my wet rain gear. Dealing with the rain is mostly mental.

Comment

Mike,
                Would this hat work?
                When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
                Six hundred pounds of sin
                Was grinning at my window
                All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

CampingFam, consider seam sealing your tent or getting a better one. Your tent shouldn't be leaking even around the edges.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcoyote View Post
                    Mike,
                    Would this hat work?
                    Actually, it's a sun hat. I thought about waterproofing it but the crown is fairly sheer and I'm afraid it'll affect the breathability when the sun is really cooking.
                    Now you've got me thinking I need to buy another one!

When I get hit with rain on a trip and I'm by myself I mostly sit and watch and listen to the rain under a tarp. Cook some food, then watch and listen some more. If it goes on and on, I'll put some music on and continue with the vegetation. If I'm in a group, we'll usually sit under a larger tarp and drink til we can't see the rain.
                    Last edited by MacGyver; 11-01-2013, 01:59 PM.

Comment

MacGiver: I've got a similar styled hat, maybe a little floppier brim, that is 100% waterproof and intended to be a rain hat. Mine is made by Columbia, but most brands have a similar hat. The most famous one is the Seattle Sombrero from Outdoor Research:

h

I tend to wear baseball caps when I'm camping and hiking because a hoody flips up over them. I have some that are 100% waterproof for wet weather, but usually wear breathable mesh running caps. Good for dissipating sweat and then throw 'em in the washer.

Comment

Originally posted by Oldcoyote View Post
                        Mike,
                        Would this hat work?
                        Now THAT's what I'm talking about!

Comment

It rained all day on my last camping trip. I dressed for rain and went hiking. Then I took a nap - I looooove sleeping in a tent in the rain. More hiking. Half-hour of yoga (yoga in a tent in the rain is so blissful.) More napping ....
                          Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Comment

Tilley makes a nice wide-brimmed rain hat. I have been a Tilley owner ever since a bike camper introduced me to them ten years ago. A definite cut above Columbia. Tilley owners always recognize each other and stop to look at each other's hats. I wouldn't (and don't) wear anything else. And I don't need an umbrella either :-)
                            2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Going on trips with the scouts... I would almost hope for a little bad weather only because it seems like a waste to be so well prepared for it and not enjoy it. I think a big plus is to have some Froggs or whatever you call them, basically something to keep your body dry without an umbrella, so good water proof boots, pants, and jacket with hood that is all sealed and waterproof. The other thing that makes things more enjoyable is if you have a pop up or picnic shelter or some kind of shelter that you can hang out in while it is raining. Then of course just the other group of people to hang out with to enjoy outdoors. If I brought my spouse and there was a light sprinkle I would never hear the end of it. But other people enjoy the weather no matter what it turns out to be The key is just attitude and being prepared for whatever weather you may have. It also helps to have a smart phone and other ways to validate what kind of weather is headed your way or how long it will take before it passes.

Comment

Working...
                              X