Good tent stakes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good tent stakes

I need some good tent stakes. The stock ones are crummy, and I currently am using rebar to hold my tent in place. It works, but it's so tall I keep running into it. My shins can't take more of this!

Here are several different types that are made by Coleman. Here is the link...http://www.coleman.com/coleman/Colem...ategoryID=6000

Any of these will be better than rebar. I carry a couple of different types that I use depending on the soil I am driving them into. Good luck and I can guarantee you that Coleman tent stakes are top quality.

Comment

My kodiak flex-bow came with great stakes - essentially chrome plated rebar with a hook at the top. I haven't seen where kodiak sells these but I think springbar sells something similar.

Comment

Wow! Sounds 'industrial grade'!

I use the WallyMart plastic stakes for the sandy soil here in Florida, but have to switch to metal up in Alabama - tough rocky soil!

I have some yellowish-white stakes I got at Wallys that are "glow-in-the-dark" - but they stopped selling them! I now use the taller bright yellow type. The glowing type really do work!

My tents are small though - if I had a large 'family tent' I'd probably use the aluminum 'sand stakes'. The Campmor catalog has them.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

SMC....great post and excellent link! Like Rob, I too have a Kodiak Tent and steel stakes 12" long came with our tent. But, we actually have a surplus of tent stakes from all the other tents that we have bought over the years. Plus, it seems a lot of campers are either absent minded or just idiots or they just plain don't care because we have often picked a site in an organized campground and have found tent stakes still in the ground from the previous camper who left them there for us. It's an un-usual gift, but a gift anyway. I've even have gone so far as giving the stakes to the campground host if the previous camper would ever come back to claim them.

Campground host's have told me that they collect a lot of stuff over the course of a camping season, too! Ha Ha!
          Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
          Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

RenoDesertFox...how 'bout you send some of those extra stakes my way??
            I'll stick with rebar for now, I guess (since I already have it!), but I think I'll put some tennis balls over the ends of the ones I tend to crash into. I have some of the Coleman yellow plastic ones that might work if we're going to have no wind. Maine soil is horribly rocky, and most tent stakes I've ever used bend to oblivion!

Comment

In the past, setting up a tenttenttent was often a major headache, but today’s tents nearly assemble themselves. However, you might find your tenttenttent rolling away with the first breeze unless you use a text stake at each stake loop to secure it.

Comment

ET(English Teacha)...Shippin' to Maine would cost you my arm and leg. Walmart has them for like 6 per package for like $5. Maine's ground is very rocky...back in 1970 when I was a young pup I did camp and fish at a lake north of Freeport about 400 miles, call Lake Maranacook, but I was still a kid at seventeen then, visiting my Grandmother's ancestors with other family then.

Howdy, shout to Samantha...thanks for offerin' good info too! And welcome to the best tootin' campin' forum on the entire planet!
                Last edited by renodesertfox; 05-02-2010, 10:17 PM.

Comment

Yeah...found out about my tent blowing away. My husband rescued it from our cherry tree last week. Hence, the rebar. Yankee ingenuity! I'm on the lookout for good, rugged stakes, but the rebar certainly is holding the tent nicely!

Reno...we live not far from Lake Maranacook, by Maine standards. (anywhere within an hour is close by!) It's not THAT far from Freeport!

Comment

Well, that was a long time ago, now I'm pushing close to sixty(57). We only camped there for 5 nights but I do remember Maine...nothing but trees and rocks! Beautiful! Back when I was a kid my pops had the idea to sleep and camp in every state of these United States. Well, I'm still campin' but there are some states I still have never been too. Like Florida, Georgia, deep southern states and Hawaii. Good tent stakes aren't that hard to find and don't you have to use a large sledge hammer to pound those rascals in the ground?

Comment

Check these...I love them

http://www.campingforums.com/forum/showthread.php?t=595
                      JohnJohn
                      ---------
                      Forum Admin

Comment

Every place in New Zealand that I clicked on to order fails. Is there a place in the USA that sells these?

I'm gonna send an email to the manufacturer, too? Will keep everyone posted.

The design is excellent!

Comment

I found them by google search: "lockpeg". Through equpoutdoors.com in New Zealand I found them and one peg cost in dollars $26.50 so you can purchase them for a price! Wow! The only ones that would work for us is the Stainless steel ones and yes...it's $26.50 each. Not a set of three, not a set of two, but one alone! Amazon needs to take this on and lower the price or some one...good idea JohnJohn just un-realistic, glad you got yours free! :(

Comment

What do you use in sand? Something long and broad I suppose.

Comment

Re: Good tent stakes

I have a newly designed multipurpose stake on Quirky. This is the last, most versatile stake you will ever own and will soon be know as "The Stake of Choice". It's more than a tent stake. For more details, pictures, and to cast a vote visit http://bit.ly/1qz6SCu.

Comment

Working...
                              X