How to Tarp It

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to Tarp It

Ok I am looking to possibly buy a new tent due to issues with my current one. Current one is a Coleman family dome tent that is kinda a 'v' shapped. Says it is 14x14 but with a quarter of that missing due to the shape. I like the space although the layout is not the best. What I don't like is the rain fly does not come down far enough, the ventilation is iffy I think because of the shape, and there is some space issues with the wings so to speak.

So I went out and have looked for what tent would correct those issues and give me what I am looking for in a tent. Still like the dome and want to stay clear of the cabin tents. Guess some of that is domes are what I am used to. Found a Cabela's Alaskan Guide Model that will fit the bill. Only issue I have is the price. I know that you get what you pay for and that it would last a long time. But at $500 I am wondering if I could not remedy some of my issues with the tent I already have.

Got to thinking about setting up a tarp over the tent. This would provide the extra rain coverage I desire. But would the shade provided by it help keep the tent from warming up so much? Guess that is the kicker now. If it will only make things hotter than it would not be a good idea.

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Howdy SFord13,
    If you camp on a regular basis such as I, at least twice a month, one has to take in the inconvenience of how much extra time would be required to set up your tent as you have stated. The best solution is give your idea a dry run. If you are satisfied with the tarp over the tent then fine do it that way. The only way to determine if airflow is great then your plan would work. The dry run would be setting it up in your backyard or at a city park. Even setting it up in the woods could be another idea. However, every camping location where you select to camp will be different, the trees might not line up to hook your tarp over the tent. Your poles might have to be adjusted to different heights, etc, etc. If you camp a lot this might become a problem that might break you from ever camping again.

My philosophy always has been to buy the best equipement that you can afford, because I love to camp. And I will camp in any season, anywhere if I decide to camp I will. Camping is my priority. I have been fortunate to spend my extra dollars on excellent camping equipment. I have sacrificed alot and have made due with inexpensive equipment, but once a person decides on his/her's proirities I have never been disappointed with the best that I could afford at the time. A tent is my home away from home and when it's different weather, rather than sunny my tent is my home, if that means sacrificing and purchasing a better tent well, then it is!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

We went the route of purchasing a tent which stays dry in the rain. It wasn't cheap but we love our Kodiak Flex-Bow.

When we went camping in the VA Blue Ridge Mtns, we noticed the locals all string tarps over their tents to survive the frequently occuring rain. As long as there a trees nearby, using a tarp is an easy, inexpensive way to get better rain protection. The CCC-built campgrounds in the Shenandoah Valley all have lots of trees around the campsites so stringing the tarp isn't hard. I think most folks use some form of a weighted monkeys fist to help throw the line over high trees.

Comment

Whoever makes those tents for Cabelas must have small production numbers, because I don't see them on Ebay. It's a decent 6-pole design, required if you expect heavy snow loads. You can get lifetime-guarantee tents of top quality new-in-the-box from Sierra Designs (4-pole designs) for less than half that price in 6-man sizes, and trust me can they take rain and wind!!! However stringing tarps is a no-no as campgrounds don't allow TOUCHING trees or bushes or hanging anything since a few years ago. I made the move first from canvas to nylon models by Coleman etc. and once I made the jump to Sierra Designs I only buy new tents because I want to, not for need. I still use my 1987-model Base Camp and it has received free repairs twice from the factory over the years.
        Last edited by tplife; 11-04-2009, 02:19 PM.
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Thanks for the input tp and all! Great to see you all still tenting around. It's a great life: tenting!:eek: But I use just a tarp when I solo, in warm weather, it's nylon and for cold nights below 20 degrees above it's canvas all the way! Out here trees usually don't grow that abundant and then if they do they are protected, even Joshua Trees! Or the limbs start 65 feet up the tree like the ponderosas and the protected Redwoods! Now let's go camping!
          Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-04-2009, 04:49 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
            You can get lifetime-guarantee tents of top quality new-in-the-box from Sierra Designs (4-pole designs) for less than half that price in 6-man sizes, and trust me can they take rain and wind!!! However stringing tarps is a no-no as campgrounds don't allow TOUCHING trees or bushes or hanging anything since a few years ago. I made the move first from canvas to nylon models by Coleman etc. and once I made the jump to Sierra Designs I only buy new tents because I want to, not for need. I still use my 1987-model Base Camp and it has received free repairs twice from the factory over the years.
            6 man isn't big enough. Banning tarps from trees must be a California or Utah thing because it's not prohibited in VA.

Comment

Out here, you even have to pay for showers if the campground has them. Water is almost as scarce as the trees!

Comment

Well I think that the consensis is that Cabela's tents atleast the Alaskan Guide model are made by Kelty if memory serves me right. Of course no official word but that that is what I have heard. As far as seeing them on Ebay I think that is due to the fact that people that buy them keep them. On Cabela's website this tent gets rave reviews. And I think that most people that spend $500 on a tent are going to do their research first and make sure it is one that is going to fit their needs. Again maybe why it is not there on Ebay. Thanks all for your input. Given me some things to consider.

Comment

Check out the LL Bean Vector XL 4. Half the price of the Cabela.

Comment

And LLBean usually has free shipping too! Last year our Kodiak Cabin Tent 9x12 was purchased through http://www.familytentcamping.com. The shipping was $65 and that beat Kodiak itself by $55, so you got to shop around. But shopping now on the web is easier than going to the malls, fighting the traffic, fighting with the kids, bumping into people, being bumped into, telling the sales clerk you are just looking and then when you have a question you spend time looking for someone to ask. Thank you Mr. Computer! Sure it's time consuming but now getting what you want is a whole lot easier, it's just the jingle in pocket doesn't make much noise anymore! We still haven't put the tent up yet, cause last winter was very mild; it snowed one day in Las Vegas, by 7:30 AM we were dry as a bone. The rain too was light, one day in Jan 09 for a couple of hours and then again in March for a sprinkle. This year we are going to go find colder temps but I do like the dry climate here for city living.
                    Last edited by renodesertfox; 11-06-2009, 02:05 AM.

Comment

Working...
                    X