New here

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New here

Hello, I have been looking for a camping forum, and I found you .

I have been camping for a few years. I love to camp in Colorado, and, as a matter of fact, I only have camped in Illinois (where I live) and 1 time in Kansas on my way to Colorado. The rest of the time was in Colorado or Wyoming. I am a Gram, and love to take my grandson with me. We haven't been to Co. for a couple of years, and we are going again this summer.

I tent camp, and sometimes stay in a cabin off and on. As I get older, I find it harder and harder to put that tent up, and a few years back, I found the self-erecting ones that you just throw and they set up themselves. It doesn't pack like others, it is only a couple of inches thick, but is round. Here is a link for those who don't know what I am talking about.

http://www.camptents.com/SpecPages/P...pUpTent737.htm

I have a small car, and the last time it was a real hassle to pack and unpack and there just wasn't enough room. I do not have a luggage rack, and have been looking for the soft top carriers for the car. I don't want to scratch it so I am looking for ways to protect the top of the car, and also, am wondering if the J hooks would really work on the car. Does anyone have any suggestions for me as far as packing etc? I sure wish I had a pop up or Aliner, but I don't believe the Focus will pull one, at least not up the mountains. We like to camp on both the West and East side of the state.

Any suggestions for this seasoned camper?? :eek:

Originally posted by lovetocamp
    Hello, I have been looking for a camping forum, and I found you .

I have been camping for a few years. I love to camp in Colorado, and, as a matter of fact, I only have camped in Illinois (where I live) and 1 time in Kansas on my way to Colorado. The rest of the time was in Colorado or Wyoming. I am a Gram, and love to take my grandson with me. We haven't been to Co. for a couple of years, and we are going again this summer.

I tent camp, and sometimes stay in a cabin off and on. As I get older, I find it harder and harder to put that tent up, and a few years back, I found the self-erecting ones that you just throw and they set up themselves. It doesn't pack like others, it is only a couple of inches thick, but is round. Here is a link for those who don't know what I am talking about.

http://www.camptents.com/SpecPages/P...pUpTent737.htm

I have a small car, and the last time it was a real hassle to pack and unpack and there just wasn't enough room. I do not have a luggage rack, and have been looking for the soft top carriers for the car. I don't want to scratch it so I am looking for ways to protect the top of the car, and also, am wondering if the J hooks would really work on the car. Does anyone have any suggestions for me as far as packing etc? I sure wish I had a pop up or Aliner, but I don't believe the Focus will pull one, at least not up the mountains. We like to camp on both the West and East side of the state.

Any suggestions for this seasoned camper?? :eek:
    I picked up one of these at Traget a few years ago, don't reall use it much anymore though:

You could also look into the hard top carriers sold from Thule and Yakima. We use the largest Yakima version on the top of our Odyssey for camping Trips and Family Vacations. We end up keeping tools, tire chains, and ususally the standard family garbage bag full of dirty shoes in it.
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

Comment

The only thing is, is that it has a luggage rack on the top of that vehicle. Do you think it would be wise of me to see how much a luggage rack would be to have installed on the top of the car?

Comment

Originally posted by lovetocamp
        The only thing is, is that it has a luggage rack on the top of that vehicle. Do you think it would be wise of me to see how much a luggage rack would be to have installed on the top of the car?

The one I purchased had some rubber coated "L" hooks that should help fit it to most any car. Downside is if you have something heavy to put in it, could dent your roof, or rub your roof paint.

I would look into installing a rack. Then you could look in to the box I spoke of above. Could get king a pricey though? Head over to Thule.com and check out the part numbers you need. After I had the info I would head over to eBay. I bet you could find a nice deal over there...
        JohnJohn
        ---------
        Forum Admin

Comment

Hi John John,

I had a chance today to see if there was a luggage rack made for the Focus, and it would run me $250 and then also the cost of installation. If I spend all this money, then there won't be any left for vacation, lol. The rack is also was one of the ugliest things I have ever seen. It sits up a lot higher than the one that you pictured, with large bars and a huge basket that goes in it to keep the carrier off the roof. He thought that the soft sided one would scratch the roof, no matter what I used for a cover, and also said that he thought that it would dent it. If I found some foam, do you think that would keep the car from being scratched, and also just packed clothes and light things in it that it would work? It wouldn't have to be totally filled to the brim, right? It could just hold a couple of sleeping bags and maybe few clothes?? What do you think?

Janette

Comment

Sounds about right on the price. I would take those part numbers and try eBay. If you don't like the look remember you can take it off after vacation. It's very easy to remove and intall.

If you want to go the other route I think you'll be fine just storing sleeping bags and clothes. It may dent your roof, you'll just have to test it with different loads. I bet Home Depot could help you find a piece of foam to fit inside the "roof bag".
            JohnJohn
            ---------
            Forum Admin

Comment

I kind of was thinking of the foam between the bag and the roof, to protect the paint and so that it wouldn't move all over the place. Bad idea??

Comment

Working...
              X