Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Popup or Small Trailer (towing with a SUV) + a few technical questions - Mid Michigan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Popup or Small Trailer (towing with a SUV) + a few technical questions - Mid Michigan

We are in Central Michigan, as a kid I camped with my aunts and uncles in a travel trailer, I never paid attention to the hookups or details I was just a kid having fun. My aunts and uncles are all gone now or I would ask them a few of these things. My wife and daughters 12 and 19 have not experienced camping, so they are hesitant but curious. Mainly it would be my wife and I plus our 12 year old, the 19 year old goes to college and would probably opt to stay home most of the time.

We have a Honda Pilot SUV with a Hitch that says 3500 and the previous owner had a small trailer so it has a 4 pin light connector too, but I am not sure of the tongue weight at this moment or what my Honda can handle, the plus is i have good brakes, newer tires and it has plenty of power.

My wife works for the DNR and helps folks plan their campsite reservations via telephone but we never go camping. I finally got her and the girls to agree to at least go stay at a local park by a lake in one of the camping cabins, I figure this is a good way for them to be able to just dip their toes into a campground.

I have been watching for a local used smaller popup, something I could stick in my garage due to HOA rules of no RV's, maybe spruce up over the winter, I was mainly trying to avoid storage fees, but as I look and show my wife things she has concerns for popups and said the hard side units might be better for insulation, noise, privacy, security etc.

I see her point but I am not finding any that can crunch down to fit into my garage really, except a few like the alto (super cool but expensive), I am more the 5-7 grand range used buyer.

I considered an Aliner since it's hard sided but I am tall 6'6" so even with the raise out dormers at an rv show i was hitting my head everywhere. On youtube i saw this trailmanor, looked super neat popup that folded out but was hardside but I doubt those would be in my price range even used and it was pretty big ;(

I remember way back the hilos were cool but also heavy and no longer made correct? Any options out there I am not thinking of maybe under 7 grandish used?

On the technical side, at what weight do I need to consider having brakes on the unit? I see trailers listed with brakes systems and whatnot, but at what weight does it require that? Also is that 4 pin something a simple smaller popup might work with or do I need to visit an rv center and have something else put in?

Figure maybe i look on the rent an rv type sites rent a small 8-10 foot box popup for a week maybe even a small trailer but I am just not sure if my vehicle and 4 pin connector can handle things properly.

Looking forward to next weeks cabin rental and hopefully we can strike up a conversation with a popup owner that is friendly enough to give us some pros and cons and explain a bit more too, just figured I would ask here and see too what others may suggest we try or do, I guess biggest step is getting them out there going for walks rent a boat or something heck idk I can't wait to go though and I hope they get the camping bug

Bill

Re: Popup or Small Trailer (towing with a SUV) + a few technical questions - Mid Mich

There’s a lot on information on the internet, and you may feel like you’re still not 100 percent sure which type of RV is right for you. And that’s okay because many times you don’t know if an RV is “the one” until you’ve taken her out on the road. If you’re thinking of buying an RV for yourself, your best bet is to explore different models at dealerships and RV shows and then rent an RV or two to test-drive the kind you think you like.

Comment

Re: Popup or Small Trailer (towing with a SUV) + a few technical questions - Mid Mich

It’s been a while since you asked but I’ll give some thoughts.

3,500 lb tow rating will severely limit you. Once you derate that for passengers, gear and a little safety margin, you won’t be left with much.

6’6” will also limit you if you want to be able to stand up without hitting your head as well as sleep without having to curl up.

Finally, being garageable further limits options. Tent trailers would be your best bet. An 8’ or 10’ box should be light enough and have two decent beds.

There are some A Frames that would work (Forrest River has several makes of them, we have a Flagstaff T12RB) but will be tight for four people. Ours has a permanent bed in back that is 54” x 80” which should work for you and the dinette breaks down to a 40” x 80” for your daughters (a little tight but might work). It’s got pretty good headroom in the middle and weighs in under 2,500 lb. You will need a brake controller and seven pin plug but that’s not a big deal.
      Last edited by Papa Glenn; 12-04-2020, 03:51 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X