Clipper's baby brother!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clipper's baby brother!

Well, it came up for sale and I couldn't resist. This will be used as my "tourist travel" RV and towed with the Durango.

1998 Fold n Roll folding trailer. 12ft box. 2 dedicated full size beds (in bunk bed formation), loveseat/bed, sink, 2 burner stove, 30 gallon fresh water tank, 30 gallon grey tank, cassette toilet and wet bath, 10 windows - all but one opens, outdoor shower, electric jack, stabilizing hitch, separate battery for jack, swivel wheels under tongue...

Came home yesterday afternoon. Dogs are happy!

Moose-dog got up on the upper bed by himself and decided he wasn't going anywhere. Was up there happy for over two hours.
    Attached Files
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Re: Clipper's baby brother!

Wow! They're sweet! I'd never heard of those trailers before. Instantly went to YouTube to find videos of them being opened and now I WANT ONE! Got to be rare as hell since they're not made anymore.

Comment

Aren't they?

Extremely hard to find. 2200 dry weight.

Irv Perch made the Aristocrat trailers back in the 60s. Then in the 70s, he made the American Clipper motorhomes. At that time, he had a factory in Morgan Hill, CA. Then in the 90s, he made the fold n roll.

My trailer was made in the same factory as my clipper - just 23 years later.

His RVs were extremely well built and he really thought things out for the end user.

I didn't think I'd ever find one. The seller had remarried and the new wife didn't want anything that he shared with his prior wife. So he bought a 17ft trailer and was selling this baby. He was extremely impressed that I knew all about the history of the trailer and that I had a clipper.
      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Bam! Lady Luck paid you a visit! Love it. Condition and the history. Congrats!
        2020: 7 nights 2019: 5 nights 2018: 20 nights 2017: 19 nights 2016: 20 nights
        Spring->Fall: Marmots: Limestone 6P and 4P, Stormlight 3P, Tungsten 3P; SlumberJack Trail Tent 6P, BA Yahmonite 5P
        Fall->Spring: Cabelas Instinct Alaskan Guide 8P, Field & Stream Cloudpeak 4P, Eastern Mountain Products Torrent 3P
        Every season: Kelty Noah's Tarps- 20, 16, 12; REI Camp Tarp 16; BA Three Forks Shelter

sigpic

Comment

Thanks. Funny story: when I was driving to go see it, I passed a billboard for Clover Sonoma dairy and it said "Stay calm and dairy on". So, I calmed down.

On the way home with the trailer, I passed another Clo billboard and it said "Sip, sip, hooray".

Their billboards are amazing - make me laugh out loud every time I see one. But they were definitely fitting in this instance.

Comment

Almost ready to take him out for his maiden voyage! Just have get my hand healed enough so I can hitch and unhitch. Hopefully will get some photos of him in action.

Comment

Looks like there is one for sale in Texas:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/6643602311.html

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                Looks like there is one for sale in Texas:

https://seattle.craigslist.org/see/rvs/6643602311.html
                Well isn't that just a bit of carrot on a stick?

Comment

Totally doable!

Comment

Originally posted by toedtoes View Post
                    Totally doable!
                    20 some hours on the road, 3 or 4 tanks of gas, just to find out the "project for the enthusiast" means needing to spend another $3,000 and who know how many hours to kick it back into shape?

Pass.

Comment

I'd ask for photos of the inside, cassette toilet parts, fridge interior and outside parts, stove, etc.

If the inside is in poor shape, then they are asking WAY TOO MUCH. Mine was 4K and everything is in perfect working order except the piezo ignition on the fridge (I light it manually).

If the hydraulics for the roof are good, then the most expensive thing would be the fridge.

Comment

Working...
                      X