New to me.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me.

Well, broke down and bought a new to me pop up. Kind of tired of the hassle of tent camping waiting until the last minute to load the gear, and having to unload as son as you get home here are a few pictures of it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	01717_bqWrb6yRKVS_1200x900.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	96.3 KB
ID:	72999
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Re: New to me.

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
    Well, broke down and bought a new to me pop up. Kind of tired of the hassle of tent camping waiting until the last minute to load the gear, and having to unload as son as you get home here are a few pictures of it.
    [ATTACH=CONFIG]6329[/ATTACH]
    Nice. How is the inside? I figure someday I will have something like that.
    “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
    – E. B. White

Comment

...Are you going to do some off road mods or stay with the crowds?
      My friends have found that going spring over axle lift; helps the hitch line up with the tow vehicle, increases ground clearance to the body and helps reduce damage on the bumpy trails to our "easy to get to" campsites.

Enjoy!
      2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
      For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
      Ground tents work best for me, so far.
      Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Happy Joe View Post
        ...Are you going to do some off road mods or stay with the crowds?
        My friends have found that going spring over axle lift; helps the hitch line up with the tow vehicle, increases ground clearance to the body and helps reduce damage on the bumpy trails to our "easy to get to" campsites.

Enjoy!
        Torsion axle. can't flip it. Could add a lift kit, but that might get me 2". So i dont know yet

Comment

Name:	00W0W_7y9TJ9zIoLn_1200x900.jpg
Size:	88.9 KB
ID:	71011Click image for larger version

Name:	00d0d_kH3YofC7UbA_1200x900.jpg
Size:	80.2 KB
ID:	71012Click image for larger version

Name:	00Z0Z_igqXXNnOP2W_1200x900.jpg
Size:	89.6 KB
ID:	71013Click image for larger version

Name:	00y0y_d0XXWQaMtH7_1200x900.jpg
Size:	92.7 KB
ID:	71014Click image for larger version

Name:	00K0K_9dEJKSSnmYP_1200x900.jpg
Size:	95.4 KB
ID:	71015

Comment

Name:	00v0v_hA6kr4GMbin_1200x900.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	71016Click image for larger version

Name:	01313_fPddRwxxxWi_1200x900.jpg
Size:	91.2 KB
ID:	71017Click image for larger version

Name:	01313_bGlfbanPDOI_1200x900.jpg
Size:	56.5 KB
ID:	71018Click image for larger version

Name:	00f0f_dSzAXFbM7uO_1200x900.jpg
Size:	73.3 KB
ID:	71019Click image for larger version

Name:	00i0i_bNbaTqabkW2_1200x900.jpg
Size:	92.8 KB
ID:	71020

Comment

Its in really good shape for an 01. Kept stored in barn when not in use. Everything the guy has is in really, really good shape. Vehicles were clean, quads looked well cared for. Yard and house was up kept and really nice. So i dont have many concerns about this trailer. He upgraded to a hard sided toy hauler.

Comment

Nice. From my dad's popup days, grab yourself and extra drill thingy that lifts the top - he'd get home and find it missing more times than not.

Do you have a spot where you can open it to dry it out?
                “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

I have heard that popups were a lot of trouble. As in, they have issues. I kinda sorta wanted one, but really I'm happy with my solo setup. If I had to bring the wife, then yeah.
                  2018: Any way the wind blows; doesn't really matter to me....Too Meee....

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                    As in, they have issues.
                    The only real issue I ever had with mine was trying to close it up. I never did understand why all the pop up manufacturers design them with so little room to tuck the canvas in. It always seemed to me that adding just 2 or 3 inches to the roof shell would make thing SO much easier. Other than that, just like every other vehicle, things do wear out over time. I bought mine used and had it for close to ten years - and we beat the hell out of it.

Comment

The problems I've heard are:

Tent ends leaking - but if you're practiced with tents then you know how to seal them

Collapsing during the night - but that seems to have been resolved over the past ten plus years

Mold and mildew - again if you're familiar with tents and the need to dry them out before storing, you're way ahead of the game

Another issue is that there are some places where you cannot camp in a popup. Fishing Bridge is one - due to the bears. There aren't that many places with that restriction though and if you're tent camping now then you're already restricted from those campgrounds

And then there is the practicality. With my dad, it always seemed that once he got everything packed, he would realize he needed something way in the back. So he'd have to unload and pop up the roof to get that one thing and then repack it all back up.

For me, I really like having a bed all ready upon arrival. Like on my gps excursion, when I finally found a place to stop for the night, the last thing I wanted was to spend time setting up, moving things around, taking stuff out of the rv, putting it back in the rv, etc. Instead, I parked and curled up on the couch with a book. A few hours later, I pulled the dog steps out of the cabover and climbed into bed. No having to unload, reorganize, open up a bed, make the bed, etc. And the next day, it was just as easy to get back on the road.

There is a reason most tent campers move to a popup first - it's the closest to tent camping and they are used to the setup, etc., they just want to sleep off the ground.
                      “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

..Never had one myself, but several friends have/have had them;
                        Most expensive problem - Mice; a friend had to have one tent end basically recovered (a local awning place did it pretty reasonably).
                        scariest failure - broken lifting cable ... forced a restringing of the cables on one end (not all that expensive but time intensive)... The owner now supports the raised roof with sections of 2x2, once it is up.
                        Access issues;
                        Several top latches have broken. (plastic "hardware" appears to , in general, be relatively poor quality).
                        a drunk broke some, relatively fragile, door hardware,
                        The steps were severely bent by dragging on the access trail (solved by a suspension lift (larger tires would not fit).

No one ever complained about canvas leaks...but the metal hood over one friend's end storage needs to be re-manufactured.

Have, I think, finally talked one friend into a house battery and LED lighting...

In general setup and break down is roughly the same as one of my larger tents (an hour or so).
                        Pit bulls like to chew off the trailer to vehicle wiring plug.

Enjoy!
                        2006 Jeep Rubicon, TJ; 4.11 gears, 31" tires, 4:1 transfer case, lockers in both axles
                        For DD & "civilized" camping; 2003 Ford explorer sport, 4wd; ARB & torsen diffs, 4.10 gears, 32" MTs.
                        Ground tents work best for me, so far.
                        Experience along with properly set up 4WD will get you to & through places (on existing, approved 4WD trails) that 4WD, alone, can't get to.

Comment

Originally posted by Irate Mormon View Post
                          I have heard that popups were a lot of trouble. As in, they have issues. I kinda sorta wanted one, but really I'm happy with my solo setup. If I had to bring the wife, then yeah.
                          I could shit a gold brick and someone would bitch about the smell. Tent camping sucks cause you have to set up every thing up after your trip to dry out. Pop up sucks because they are a pain. Hard sided trailers sick cause you have to have a place to store them. Class A's suck cause if they break down, you are stranded.
                          People will bitch about anything

Comment

You forgot one. Staying at a hotel sucks because I have to walk 50 feet to the ice machine.

Comment

Originally posted by MacGyver View Post
                              You forgot one. Staying at a hotel sucks because I have to walk 50 feet to the ice machine.
                              I thought it was hotels suck because you don't know who was in the bed before you?

Comment

Working...
                              X