7 pin trailer connector

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 7 pin trailer connector

Since selling my tow rig, I have been trying to do some research concerning my 7 round connector on my 93 Coleman. The Jeep I am planning on towing it with has a easy to install flat four connector. The camper does not have a brake controller so I am not concerned about that wire. On to my question. The power/trickle wire just needs to be connected to a steady 12V connection correct? I usually camp where this is power, but on long trips I usually plug in the iceboxes inside the camper(in the 12v connector inside). If I connect the trickle wire to the power the cooler(s) should work correct?

Thanks,
    JohnJohn
    ---------
    Forum Admin

I had a flat 4 on my wrangler and my Pop-up came with the 4 to 7 adapter. We wired a hot lead to the rear of the Jeep. That's really all you need. (other than ground).

If you're going to do it, make sure you have a solid enough gauge wire on the jeep to accomodate the current draw of the fridge & battery.

Also the *best* way to do it is to have a relay that essentially makes the hot lead that goes to the 7-pin a SWITCHED power source. That way, if you park your Jeep while connected to the trailer, you won't be killing the battery on your Jeep. No reason to charge the trailer battery or power the fridge from the Jeep unless it's running and the alternator's doing all the work. Last thing you'd want is a dead trailer battery AND dead jeep battery!

I'll often disconnect my trailer battery when I tow (making sure it's well charged before the trip) and power the fridge solely off my jeep.

Hope that helps!

Oh, it's also nice to have the adapter on the jeep because then we can tow a trailer with a 7 OR the flat 4. Nice flexability!

Comment

That sound kinda what I did. I bought the flat 4 pigtail from Mopar and installed it. They didn't have a 7pin for the Wrangler, but I bet a WJ/ZJ would have fit...hmmm. Anyway I bought a 4 to 7 connector and all is good. I always have a full battery when I leave. Plus with the kids and wife...I always camp where I have electrical plugins. :D

Thanks for the info
      JohnJohn
      ---------
      Forum Admin

Comment

Originally posted by JohnJohn
        Anyway I bought a 4 to 7 connector and all is good. I always have a full battery when I leave. Plus with the kids and wife...I always camp where I have electrical plugins. :D
        Yeah, we're usually camping with hookups as well. However, we do one for sure trip each year (4x4 Jamboree) where we're dry camping. I needed to find a solution where we could run the fridge on the road and still have a full trailer battery when we got to our destination.

We tried to (gasp) run the fridge off propane while driving (which will cause many people to freak out about the whole safety debate), but it didn't work because the pilot wouldn't stay lit. No regardless of safety concerns, it wasn't a viable option.

Comment

Fridge:

I don't have a fridge in my 93.

I am imagining my CoolMate on the new roof basket with the DC power cord run through the door and into the DC plug next to the door. Then I'll just shove the iced "beer" cooler in the pop-up.
          JohnJohn
          ---------
          Forum Admin

Comment

Working...
          X