Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Am I safe ? - a towing capacity saga

[C]

2012 Dodge Caravan with class 3 hitch, only 4 pin connector...but getting a 7 pin (cost is $400 !!!)

wanting to pull 2005, Rockwood Premiere 10', tent trailer
    1770 lb dry
    2355 GVWR
    255 lb tongue weight
    electric breaks

Am I ok towing this trailer? I have contacted numerous Dodge and RV dealers....and I can honestly say I have never got a straight answer.

Re: Am I safe ? - a towing capacity saga

You need to check your owners manual, you may need other equipment like a transmission cooler to get you up to towing that kind of weight. From what you described it sounds like you are on the right track. Yes you need to do the 7 pin harness with brake controller to activate the brakes. You may need to look at a weight distributing hitch with that kind of tongue weight which will go up as you load your trailer. The 1700# dry weight and 2355# GVWR does not allow much room for stuff (655#). This could be reduced by trailer accessories already installed on your trailer like air conditioner ,LP gas, etc. Most people can easily load up 1000# of clothes, toys, bikes, food, towels, chairs, etc. Also look at the combined weight of the loaded trailer and loaded van with people, gas, and all the other stuff we like to pack into our vehicles. You need to count the weight of the hitch and hitch hardware as well. If you use a weight distributing system with anti sway, the head, tension bars, and anti sway bar can add a good bit of weight which has to be added somewhere (like tongue weight) and will reduce gross combined weight. It sounds like you are there, you just need to be smart about setting up you combination for safe and enjoyable towing. You should not feel nervous or out of control when towing if your entire rig is set up right.

Comment

The Generation Four (up to 2007) Grand Caravan is listed as having a 3,500 lb towing capacity with full towing kit - which you basically have, once you get the tranny cooler. I haven't checked into what the Gen Five (your type GC) has in the way of towing capacity - should be similar. But this also takes away from internal load capacity. If you use 3,000 lbs of tow capacity, you'll lose much internal load carrying.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I am debating the same issue. Acura RDX 1500 lb towing capacity 1200lb teardrop. If I can limit it to 300 lbs of stuff in the trailer am I ok? It seems that the weight in the car might also be part of the formula.

Comment

Your good on tow capacity. But really 400 for a brakevcontroller and plug. Seems a bit high

Comment

V6 right?

Comment

Working...
            X