Trailer Help

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trailer Help

Hi guys/gals I'm not new to camping but new to towing. I just put an offer on a tent trailer. So here is the problem I have a 2006 Jeep liberty with a towing rating of 5000lbs. I have a class 3 hitch with a 4 pin flat connector but the trailer I want to buy is 1600 lbs and has electric brakes and a round 7 pin connector. I bought this in case I decide to buy it http://www.etrailer.com/Wiring/Tow-Ready/30717.html
    I've looked at the trailer but my wife wants to see it too and if she like it as much as I do we will buy it, so I want to be ready. So here's my question

1. Will the lights work

2. Will I be able to tow this or will the brakes lock up when backing up.

I know if the trailer comes with brakes I should use them but the local shop cannot book me in for a week to install a brake controller. I only have to drive 5 miles on back roads to get home from where the trailer is being sold so I'm not concerned about the drive home, I just want to know if I pay for the trailer that I can get it off his lot. Any advise will be appreciated.

Re: Trailer Help

(Depending on your local laws for lights and brakes for that kind of trailer, not recommending breaking the law)
    If it only weighs 1600 lbs., I would probably hook it up as is and have my wife follow me home the 5 miles on back roads.

Comment

Generally you're okay to tow up to a 2,000 pound trailer without the brakes, just go easy and be careful. Remember you will have a longer stopping distance now. Once you get the controller and 7-pin plug wired in, you are golden. Also pay attention to loaded weight of your rig - truck and trailer. A family with gear adds a bit of weight, as will propane, water, etc.
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

With that adaptor the brake light will work. But until you add a brake controller and wire it to you jeep. The electric brakes won't. You jeep is a bit light to pull a trailer like that with out brakes. To get it home on the first short trip. Don't tailgate.

Comment

Working...
        X