Somerset - worst camper ever

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Somerset - worst camper ever

I'm writing this as a public service to anyone considering buying a Somerset popup. We bought a new 2013 Somerset E2 last June. It has been a nightmare. The very first time we took it out, the power lift for the roof failed. It ended up spending six weeks at the dealer getting that, and the list of over 20 other things that were wrong with it, fixed. The people who work in the Somerset plant should be ashamed of themselves. There is no quality control at all. From simple things like installing the legs for the awning upside-down, to major design flaws like a power lift that doesn't work, and a hand crank that is incapable of actually moving the roof, this camper is garbage.

We took it out twice this April, and on the second outing, the power lift failed again. It has now been back at the Somerset factory for a week. They are removing the power lift system and replacing it with a manual crank.

We have owned this camper for less than a year, and it has been out of service for over seven weeks of camping season. I have asked them twice now to buy it back, but they refuse to do that. I bought this camper because I had a 2004 Coleman/Fleetwood Mesa, and I loved it. I thought that this would be a comparable camper. Boy was I wrong!

If you are thinking of buying a Somerset, or you know someone who is considering them, don't do it! Buy absolutely anything else.

Re: Somerset - worst camper ever

Removing the power lift and replacing with manual...whoa! Hoping you are gonna be reimbursed for the price differential and the warranty on that part started anew. Past the power lift problem it has layout issues in my mind. The toilet at the foot of the bed opposite the fridge has me in head scratching mode and I don't consider myself a germaphobe.
    Sad that such shoddy workmanship was missed by so many:(.
    Last edited by NYCgrrl; 05-04-2014, 04:59 AM.
    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Re: Somerset - worst camper ever

Originally posted by dadsgoodlife View Post
      I'm writing this as a public service to anyone considering buying a Somerset popup. We bought a new 2013 Somerset E2 last June. It has been a nightmare. The very first time we took it out, the power lift for the roof failed. It ended up spending six weeks at the dealer getting that, and the list of over 20 other things that were wrong with it, fixed. The people who work in the Somerset plant should be ashamed of themselves. There is no quality control at all. From simple things like installing the legs for the awning upside-down, to major design flaws like a power lift that doesn't work, and a hand crank that is incapable of actually moving the roof, this camper is garbage.

We took it out twice this April, and on the second outing, the power lift failed again. It has now been back at the Somerset factory for a week. They are removing the power lift system and replacing it with a manual crank.

We have owned this camper for less than a year, and it has been out of service for over seven weeks of camping season. I have asked them twice now to buy it back, but they refuse to do that. I bought this camper because I had a 2004 Coleman/Fleetwood Mesa, and I loved it. I thought that this would be a comparable camper. Boy was I wrong!

If you are thinking of buying a Somerset, or you know someone who is considering them, don't do it! Buy absolutely anything else.
      Welcome to the forum.

It might be time to stop asking and start demanding. Even if you have to hire an attorney.
      “I would feel more optimistic about a bright future for man if he spent less time proving that he can outwit Nature and more time tasting her sweetness and respecting her seniority.”
      – E. B. White

Comment

Working...
      X