building a small sleeping trailer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• building a small sleeping trailer

I am tinkering with the idea of building a small cabin type trailer for sleeping/storage only.
    My idea is taking an axle with a frame of about 5.5' wide x about 9' long.
    Just use the floor space for me and the wife, rig up some kind of bunk type beds above for the kids.

Put a stowage compartment on the front.
    Just for sleeping in and sitting if it's raining.

The floor would likely be 5/8" plywood.....but how would people suggest I go about building walls????......use sheet metal studs like used in commercial applications when building offices in an open space?......use 2x2's????.....insulation?

I would likely put in 2 electric outlets and use a 120v adapter to plug into hydro.

Outside finish????......inside????

I would want to do it myself, not buy plans for a teardrop trailer etc etc......

Want to keep it really light so my Toyota Corolla can pull it.

(It did pull a 6x8 steel utility trailer loaded with stuff pretty easy, so I know it is capable of at least say 1000 lbs load)

Just hunting for ideas/tips/suggestions.....

Thanks, yall

Re: building a small sleeping trailer

Amyone else????

Comment

A friend of mine had a tent camper that was basically a box about the height of a small popup with an internal frame to hold up the attached canvas top. Especially after it finally rusted out and he had to get rid of it, I've been kicking around the idea of making one for myself. The first idea that hit me was to use vinyl insulated garage door panels for the box. They're fairly lightweight, already weather resistant and rigid enough to not need too much (if any) additional structural support. I don't know how high you want your box to be, but I imagine you could stack panels edge to edge, secured by threaded rods (or other means) with the cracks between the panels sealed with high grade silicone.

Comment

I've been looking at the idea of 3/16" plywood skin screwed/bonded to 1X2 and 1X4 framing, with one inch styrofoam insulating panels glued inside the framing and to the plywood. Seen some TD builders doing it. Light but fairly strong and rigid, and insulation factor built in. All available at my local Lowes and Homer Depot.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

If you are looking for a permanent site, you might consider a hunting blind.

I am thinking of putting this on my daughter's property and running an electric cord to it. http://www.mackspw.com/Item--i-SOTBL...FeYWMgodSSwA3A

It can be delivered to her. It is waterproofed, it would fit a cot, table, and chairs. At 300lbs, it is easily moved. It would cost less than building a trailer and messing with tags, title, and insurance.
          Click image for larger version

Name:	SOTBLCc.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	18.4 KB
ID:	69810
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Ontario,
            You are eluding to a teardrop which has been around since the 1930s at least. Look up some sites for kits and construction details. Many have thin wood panels on the inside and aluminum on the outside. They are curved which gives them a certain aesthetic retro appeal and makes them aerodynamic. There is something fun about even the tiniest trailer especially in bad weather. It reminds me of being in a fort when I was a kid. I still like to sleep in the back of my truck with a canopy or in a boat or small RV for the same reason. It is cozy. Good luck with your plans.

Comment

"Isn't this cozy", said the sardine to his 11 brethren. :cool:

“People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
              ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

if your looking at 5x9 range i would consider buying a basic utility trailer around that size, and build it accordingly,
                can also build it so can remove it from the trailer when not using it, or can remove it and leave it at a camp.
                wood frame is probably easiest to work with as most are familiar framing wood.
                i would also look at tow capacity of the corolla
                quick look i see corollas have 1500 lb tow limit,
                most 5x8 trailers weight around 400-500 lbs, so really want to keep weight of rest of camper under 1000 lbs, also consider weight of supplies furnishings. etc..

Comment

Ontario,
                  Have you priced small used camper trailers?
                  When I awoke, the Dire Wolf
                  Six hundred pounds of sin
                  Was grinning at my window
                  All I said was, "Come on in".

Comment

Googe "tiny house" there you will find what you are talking about. Even floor plans and costs, etc. I was looking for the same idea, come to find out so were a lot of others, and a lot longer ago than me.

Comment

Working...
                    X