What did you forget?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What did you forget?

We are about to go on our first weekend with the new camper, a small pop up. So I figured I would ask what the more experienced campers forgot their first trip.
    Thanks
    Steve

Re: What did you forget?

It's hard to not like the Petzl line of headlamps. Now if they would add 123 batteries (or some other newer battery technology) to their choices, all my wants would be answered!
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
      Now with all of that said, I can't even begin tell you how many times I've been asked to open a can of coffee or a can of baked beans by strangers at campgrounds who forgot to bring a can opener.
      Yes, I think these are forgotten a lot! I can't even begin to count how many times the can opener on my swiss army knife "saved the day" I hate using that thing, but I'm always glad to have it.

On our first camping trip as a family we forgot to bring the flashlights/lantern. They were ready to go, they just didn't make it into the car.

Comment

Like Hogsnapper said in an earlier post, I just can't remember been too long ago! However over the years I have forgotten plenty of things. Tent poles, tent stakes, air mattress. Once I brought my wife's sleeping bag but forgot mine. Wine cork screw or our butler's helper but had my Swiss army knife too, not enough tp. The list goes on and on. Found out I just have to make a list and check it off every time I'm loading up. What we have done to combat my memory loss was to purchase a plastic pull-out drawer system from Wal-Mart for food stuffs & a smaller plastic 3 drawer container for twine, matches, glue, hot pads, utensils and as the King of Siam always said in the play "South Pacific" etc....etc....etc!
        Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
        Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Don't forget bug spray. :D

Comment

too many things to remember
            always something
            to avoid the mishap, i like to have everything ready in 1 spot, whether its in the car, or living room floor,
            dont tell yourself dont forget the can opener, you will forget it,
            only thing not together ready to go should be anything that needs to be refrigerated,
            if kids want to use their phones, game systems, etc.. night before and not put it the pile, remind them if they forget it thats their problem, they will learn the lesson by forgetting their chargers

Comment

I have dedicated an entire corner of the garage to my camping equipment--that is, anything that doesn’t regularly stay in the rig. That way, it’s near impossible to forget something; it’s worked out really well so far.

Comment

Can't recall the first item I ever forgot but will nevah forget the time I left a fully stocked cooler with the doorman. He had some nice lunches whilst I was camping....
                2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

I always try to remember to forget something...

There is both entertainment and pride in using your knowledge, creativity, and woodcraft in solving a problem or creating comfort caused by the want of some forgotten item.

Comment

I'm in the middle of packing for my long trip right now. That's right. The anal retentive amongst us must do this at least a week in advance.

Just had a longgggggg convoluted conversation about the use and amt of towels needed for 4 people. He says 3 towels per person; I say 1.
                    Also how bar soap in a plastic container is necessary for manly men as opposed to body wash.
                    I'm also espousing mouthwash in one shared storage container vs 20 million little bottles for 2 weeks.
                    Did beat him down on bed pillows and their sizes. Compromise? 1 full size and 2 small ones for him. Nice space change of pace from his regular full-sized 3.

I suspect I will nevah take this man to the "Dark Side" of camping with less stuff.
                    Slightly bemused vent out
                    2017:

July 3 to July 16- annual kiddo trip
                    Aug 2 to Aug 14- adult trip to recover from kiddos' outing. Bring on the Campari!

Comment

Originally posted by HogSnapper
                      Real men hate liquid soap. We want the strongest, toughest, most caustic BAR soap there is.
                      That would be Phels Naptha in the USA. Use it to take the hair of monkeys.

If you need stronger than that, then look to Mexican laundry bar soaps.

Comment

Permission was the first thing I forgot. LOL I was most likely camping in a farmers dead hunting woods at a young age. Talk about minimalist, a tent, a Swiss Knife, matches and a pack of hot dogs. Everything was going well until the smoke left the woods and into the field where the farmer was in the tractor. This was in the 70's and he was cool with it, just said to keep the fire contained.

A few years later I killed my first deer with a bow not but a few hundred yards from that first camp spot.

As for forgetting and modern camping/hiking, enough socks when hiking a couple hundred of the App. Trail and a Virginia Fishing license when I was over the state line from Maryland by about 50 feet. According to a park ranger at Assateague Island. My wader boots while fly fishing for salmon in NY, my wool hunting clothes when in Maine, my brain a few times when asking many a non outdoors type girl friend to go hiking/backpacking/camping.

All the forgets worked out and made me a better person one way or another. Having OCD helps, it is just the ADHD that hurts. I am constantly changing what I am obsessing about. LOL

Comment

I always forget clothes of some sort. I pack for my whole family, so that's myself, husband, 5yo son and 3yo daughter. Last time is was pajamas for daughter, the time before that is was socks for myself and underpants for husband. I almost never forget the gear type stuff, but I did forget the can opener on a trip before we had kids.

Oh, even if you're camping without kids, invest in some babywipes! Those things will clean just about anything and are super handy.

Comment

Paper plates and coffee filters!!! Can't believe I forgot both of these! Oh, and pillow cases!

Comment

Originally posted by Jenskis View Post
                              Paper plates and coffee filters!!! Can't believe I forgot both of these! Oh, and pillow cases!
                              Pillow cases???

Do you mean empty sleeping bag stuff sacks that you fill with clothes to make a pillow?

Comment

Working...
                              X