New to me camper

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New to me camper

We bought a lightly used 16 ft starcraft camper and have a question about hauling water in holding tanks. Can we just fill our tank and water heater before we leave or do we need to do that when getting to campsite? We usually only will travel 1-2 hours to get to camp site.

Thanks for any help!

Re: New to me camper

Waiting to fill up closer to your destination or at the campground will help your MPG and hauling a lighter trailer is more pleasant and will decrease wear and tear on your tow vehicle. If the extra weight will not be noticed by your TV, it would be more convenient to start out ready to camp.

That's my .02

Comment

Re: New to me camper

If you are unsure of the quality of the water, then I would haul water for the first trip, ask other campers their impression, and if they all are generally favorable, then next time, get water at the campground. I would rather trust a dependable source the first time.

Another issue is ease of filling at the campground. We do go to places where the water is good, but there are few spigots of potable water, or is placed awkwardly, or there is often a line.

We are lucky that on either side of us on the nearby interstate there are dump stations with potable water at the rest stops That is helpful since we don't have an outside spigot at the house. So, if we don't want to wait for set up, or tear down and dumping, that is a good option.

In any case, invest a minimum of $20 for the blue water filter that attaches to your hose which is found at most box stores.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
      X