West Coast in May-- Fine Teardrop Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Coast in May-- Fine Teardrop Camping

We just completed a great trip to Washington State. Nice timing, some of the best weather in the US was with us.

Early May affords entry status of most of the Parks, just opening with plenty of spaces to choose from. In fact, we cruised through to find neighbors to share a camping experience.

The first day was taken by many miles up the San Joaquin Valley to San Rafael. Traversing the Bary Bridge was quite an experience, forgot how long that thing is. That evening was welcomed as we pulled into China Camp. Not far from town, the wildlife was striking. Wild deer, quail, turkeys, 4 footed type coyotes, cats.... great night's sleep. Nice Hosts too!

That next day the vineyards took away my desire to drive. Chardonnay anyone? Skip driving... the industry must be good. There is more vineyards than you can shake a stick at. We wanted to make Oregon the next day but alas, Mt. Shasta was just too glorious. Check out Fowlers Camp for yourself, 5 miles (exactly) from downtown McCloud. Fishing was good at camp, great coffee in Mt Shasta. With the Teardrop we were treated like area insiders. My guess it's busy mid-summer.

The next few shots are Portland and the Oregon Coast. Fresh Fish and Chips does have its culinary draw. Add that to a micro-brewery and you'll be spoiled quickly. We took a long walk before driving again.

In Washington was a family reunion of sorts... the Teardrop makes a nice bedroom just off the driveway. Seems that most of the family wanted to camp "in" with us. As you can see, the Washington Coast needs visitors... long empty beaches to get your feet wet, bleached tree stumps and boat hulls from Fukushima. You can see the lighthouse behind us at Cape Disappointment-- beautiful State Park!

On the return Hwy 1 beckoned us to slow down and "LOOK!". Whales blowing spray, the finest coast shots possible. The Giant Redwoods, Jedediah Smith Redwoods SP was so dark at 3pm we needed galley lights. Here above Ft Ross, we used the headlights for the tree tunnels... try growing up straight with all that Ocean wind. Come famous Bodega Bay, we found some nice Canned Hams... nostalgic! Works well with a Teardrop as a neighbor even though ours is new.

Happy Travels!

Re: West Coast in May-- Fine Teardrop Camping

Actually we were winging it. The 4g cell service let's us query what's ahead, I drive, my wife directs. Early May was wide open, few campers. I found with teardrops reservations are usually not required, I just take a tent spot for le$$.

Comment

Working...
    X