another refrigerator question

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• another refrigerator question

in calif its illegal to travel with the propane on as many do to keep their refrierators cold.
    so i will run it on 110v from the house for a few days before i go and stock it with cold items before i leave. so heres my question: its a 3 way fridge so ive read the 12v will drain the battery in a matter of a few hrs. on my connection to my truck i do have a 20a service straight to the truck battery. i have a 200a alternator on the truck. if i use the fridge 12v option will this keep the fridge running without draining the trailer deep cycle battery while im on the road. where i go is dry camping so there is no elect hookups to recharge. i have a 08 fleetwood seapine and im not sure how to do this.
    thanks

Re: another refrigerator question

let me also say that as soon as i arrive i dissonnect the tow vehicle so what im thinking about is my truck is connected to the fridge/trailer circuit and will everything work /charge while im moving? charging both as needed then dissconnectioning when i arrive will stop any chance of draining the start battery.?

Comment

i have a #10 wire from the truck battery to the 7 pin connector.
      it sounds like i should be ok as long as i unplug right away when i arrive at camp.
      i have a very small solar panel i could also use if needed. ill check the schmatic on the inverter thing.
      i try not to use the deep battery for anything other than heater blower and a very little water pump usage.
      and maybe the fridge while on the road.
      i use propane and d cells for lighting to conserve the trailer battery.
      and i figure the fridge once cold 110v and stocked cold could last a few hrs off anyways.
      thanks...
      Last edited by donnyonee; 02-11-2013, 01:12 PM.

Comment

ok back to keeping it off till i get there for now, the iso is a few bucks. ive got 3 coolers and dry ice is available.

Comment

Originally posted by donnyonee View Post
          in calif its illegal to travel with the propane on as many do to keep their refrierators cold.
          so i will run it on 110v from the house for a few days before i go and stock it with cold items before i leave.
          The LP gas/electric refrigerator in your motorhome is designed to be run on propane while driving. I don't know of any RV'er in California that follows these laws, although they do switch the system off when refueling, following the RV manual. If you followed all the laws in California, you'd have no time for anything else since the legislature passes them faster than they can be read, interpreted, and enforced!
          Last edited by tplife; 02-11-2013, 06:05 PM.
          “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
          ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

the last (first) trip i had it on medium gas and it was out when we arrived at the park, maybe 1 hr or a little more. everything was still cold so it wasnt bad. i was just hoping on using the truck as a source next time for power but it sounds like its not the best idea either (w/o the inverter thing). ill try the colder set point next time but its just a silly pilot that will most likely get blown out again. if i go further i can throw a slab of dry ice in and it will keep it cold till i get there. or use the truck and unplug when arriving, and finding a elect outlet to recharge the trailer and hopefully being able to start the truck again but i really dont see that as being a problem. i carry a good set of jumpers. obviously im new to the fridge thing and the learning curve is huge. i dun-o. any other suggestions?
            Last edited by donnyonee; 02-11-2013, 08:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by tplife View Post
              The LP gas/electric refrigerator in your motorhome is designed to be run on propane while driving. I don't know of any RV'er in California that follows these laws, although they do switch the system off when refueling, following the RV manual. If you followed all the laws in California, you'd have no time for anything else since the legislature passes them faster than they can be read, interpreted, and enforced!
              This is correct. You should be able to drive with it on, no problem. To err on the side of safety, just switch it off while fueling so the propane flame cannot ignite any gas fumes.

Your fridge propane burner should not go out while driving. It is designed to be on while driving. If it won't stay on while driving, you might look into cleaning the little gas orifice. You can do this yourself (carefully, search for instructions) or have a RV mechanic do it.

Also, make sure you have your propane switched to a tank that has some propane in it, if you have 2 tanks. Ask me how I know this. :D

Comment

thanks ill do the cleaning when i prep for the next campout. ive got a few other things to do too. adding 12v socket inside and tv jack plugs inside/outside and pop-a-plate and pop-a-bag. the 12v socket and tv will be for when theres hookups otherwise im installing a 12v socket in the rear of the ranger pickup bed and i made a 50 ft cord to plug in for tv/movies and other things. i dont mind the heater, pump and minimal lites on the trailer battery but some things can run off the truck. and ive already added a second propane bottle with a auto changeover. i even bought a inside/outside thermometer. i made a nice hanging shelf for over the sink, worked great and ill put the pop-a-plate under it. pop-a-bag inside lower cabinet.
                Last edited by donnyonee; 02-16-2013, 10:58 PM.

Comment

i did the furnace screen on the outside but to anyone: is it necessary to screen the inside of the doors for the water heater and fridge to keep bugs out?
                  thanks

Comment

Working...
                  X