DIY teardrop trailer?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• DIY teardrop trailer?

After 2 cross country trips by car (grand canyon-atlanta and tacoma-atlanta) and tent camping along the way, I decided that I want a bit more convenience and comfort, specially in bad weather or when trying to set up camp after dark.

I figure DIY is the least costrly way to go and I got a couple of concepts. I started with a pretty aero design, but decided that my skills would allow better results with a simpler shape. I figure 8'x4'x4' and under 1,000 pounds for low cost in towing and construction. The simpler concept so far without doors or the hatch weights under 200 lbs. The trailer would be a Harbor Freight utility trailer with upgraded 12" tires. The camper will be built to fit it. 1/2 plywood, bottom and sides, 3/8 plywood the rest. Metal is 16 ga ss and 16 ga aluminum.

What do you think? Any ideas?

Click image for larger version

Name:	teardrop 2.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	61.2 KB
ID:	72557Click image for larger version

Name:	teardrop trailer.jpg
Size:	30.8 KB
ID:	72558
    Last edited by silverz51; 01-02-2013, 08:28 PM.

Re: DIY teardrop trailer?

Thanks, fortunately I can use CAD to produce the solid models before I start buying stuff and putting it together. It allows me to calculate the weight, CG, etc. And get and idea of what it will look like. I really want to do this so I can haul it behind a Honda Accord or even my Miata when I go to Seattle to visit my sons. It should be a fine adventure if I can stay away from home that long, my wife will miss me .

Comment

I worked on it some more and based on my design (which might be heavier or lighter) the utility trailer with the camper shell so far weights about 470 Lbs.

Click image for larger version

Name:	trailer with camper.jpg
Size:	71.4 KB
ID:	69604

Comment

Very cool! Please keep us posted as it progresses.

Comment

Looks cool. Keep us updated please.

Comment

Have you discovered the website for Teardrops&Tiny Travel Trailers?
            http://www.tnttt.com/

Lots of good info over there. Remember to add a vent - closed up tight means trouble!
            What software are you using for the design work?
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I think the trick with the DYI trailers is keeping them from rotting with all the moisture and salt and stuff that gets slung onto the trailer from the road. Most of the wood trailers I have seen get pretty ratty after a couple of seasons.

Even the plywood on my cargo trailer got really ugly on the underneath side.

Comment

Working...
              X