towing vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• towing vehicle

I have read various information (pro & con) on being able to tow a pop-up with my 2004 Honda Odyssey minivan. Wanted to see if anyone out there uses this vehicle (or similar)? The camper would be a 1998 Camplite by Damon. Best info indicates camper would be about 2700lbs (w/supplies).

Thanks

Re: towing vehicle

Originally posted by Lisa View Post
    I have read various information (pro & con) on being able to tow a pop-up with my 2004 Honda Odyssey minivan. Wanted to see if anyone out there uses this vehicle (or similar)? The camper would be a 1998 Camplite by Damon. Best info indicates camper would be about 2700lbs (w/supplies).

Thanks

I would look at you owners manual or call the dealer. As for my Honda Fit which is a small compact does not recommend even towing a small trailer but they make a trailer hitch for it.. Go figure...
    Last edited by swebob; 12-29-2012, 05:27 PM.
    Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

I had a GMC Sarfari mini-van (1997) and a tent trailer also. I was able to pull the tent trailer with ease and never had any issues. I would go close to 1000kms round trip with it. The ONLY thing I would HIGHLY reccommend is getting an external TRANSMISSION COOLER. They aren't very expensive and can be easily put on your car.

Comment

I have a Class II Torklift hitch and Reese lighting kit on my Prius, it can handle 2000 pounds total of people, trailer, and gear. Of course the manual recommends against towing, boilerplate CYA liability lalalalalala stuff. There are folks posting reviews who have over 4000 care-free miles of towing with their Prius using small lightweight tent trailers. And why not? My Harley Road King can tow a small tent trailer itself, and it only has a tiny 1560cc engine. You should do fine provided you work within the limits of your vehicle's weight table. Consult an expert if you are not sure and get camping!
        “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
        ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

My Grand Caravan has a 3,800 pound tow limit, the largest engine (3.8L V6). A couple of professional Chrysler/Dodge mechanics have indicated that a tranny oil cooler is NOT necessary, and may be detrimental - still studying that issue.
          I do need the electronic brake package, so am really limited to a realistic 2,000 pounds for a non-brake equipped trailer. My open utility trailer weighs some 700 pounds, carrying a 400 pound motorcyle with some 200 pounds of extra gear - so I am well within my limits.
          I have been looking at small pop-ups - but the short bed length of most do me no good. at six feet four inches tall, I'd likely need to do some reconfiguring on the enterior for true comfort.
          A buddy turned me onto the "Livinlite" company, as he is looking for a slide-in truck camper in their all-aluminum construction. They have some nice pop-ups too:
          http://www.livinlite.com/8.0-overview.php

This one interests me. Should be quite compatible with a good minivan. The seats and table are removable to use outside as a sort of 'picnic table' arrangement.
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

quick look,
            looks like honda odyssey has a 3500 tow capacity
            if yours trailer is around 2700 like you indicated you should be fine,
            not sure of specs of your odyssey,
            generally to increase towing capacity, cars usually add higher amp alternator and oil cooler,
            if you feel you are passing the 3500 lb capacity, can still do fine, just be wary on inclines, long drives and anything that will heat up your tranny

Comment

Be careful about towing with light vehicles. Even towing below the recommended limit can cause a lot of wear on things like clutch, brakes and suspension, not to mention the trans.

Comment

Working...
              X