Heaters For Trailers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Heaters For Trailers

When you go camping in the colder months I would reccommend using a trailer that has a built in heater. Last year I saw a tent trailer that was parked about 20 feet from me burn to the ground in less than 3 minutes all because of an improper heater. I wouldn't want to hear of it happening again to someone else. There are some very good trailers out there with heaters just make sure you clean the furnace area of the trailer before you use it. If you have to use a heater make sure it is suitable for your needs. I know of a place where you can get some good heaters.
    Last edited by Pauls One Stop; 12-12-2012, 10:20 PM.

Re: Heaters for Trailers

Spill the beans, give us the name of the website where reliable trailer heaters can be purchased. I would like to know if case I ever decide to purchase a tent trailer with no heater in it. You have made it past the moderation period so now there's no holding back. Our readership needs to know! Thanks!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

First winter with my little travel trailer. My TT is not a four season one, so I didn't think I could use it much in the winter. Even though the windows are double paned, the cold was seeping inside once the sun went down. I am converting my 30amp cord to 15amp to plug into the outside outlet at the house, so I don't want to push it by plugging in a portable electric heater.

I was surprised at how well my built-in heater in the TT keeps me toasty once I covered the windows over with car sunshades that are a flexible type like a survival blanket with bubble wrap and reflective material (reflective side facing in.)

Been working out of it while finishing up some paperwork, and was in there past midnight last night with outside temperatures in the 20's. It was 36 degrees when I went inside it after work and it got up to 56 degrees pretty quickly. Not quite shirt sleeve temps, but a sweat shirt and my little dog at my side was all that was needed. If I had cranked up the heater it would have done an even better job, but I was comfy.
      Last edited by actad; 12-13-2012, 08:25 AM.
      - Laura
      Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

For camping in my van, I use a small plug-in heater/fan I got at Lowes (don't recall the name right now, camping gear is packed away in the shop), it uses 120VAC, so I use it when at a campground with power hookup. Keeps the inside toasty warm (and the van is well-vented) and the outside metal casing never gets too hot to touch. Auto shutoff if tipped over. Very safe! A couple would heat a small TT nicely. A rectangular silver metal design, if you go to look for it.
        If away from power and it gets really cold, I have my propane Buddy Jr. heater. Needs more care in placement though.
        Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Why is this in the Northeast United States section? Shouldn’t it be in General Camping Chat and Ideas or a Camper section?

Comment

Sorry Nickadeamus but I'm new to this website and didn't know where to post as I only had limited access when I posted it.

As for the store or website for the heater you can go to www.paulsonestop.com or if in Canada the store is Canadian Tire.

Comment

Re: Heaters For Trailers

Looks like it has been moved to the small trailer section, but, it is pretty cold in the Northeast today.

Even though my TT trailer is fine on the internal heater that uses propane, I am going to get a radiant heater that is 400 watt on low and 800 watt on high for when we are out and about. Home Depot and Amazon have it. http://www.homedepot.com/webapp/wcs/...N#.UNXQdaBj6So
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

I'm responsible for moving stuff around. So after I saw your last post, I thought, yes it needs to be in the TT section. However if Paulonestop mentions his website in another thread he might be moved to the unapproved vendors section.
                Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
                Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

What about the Buddy Heaters that are run on small propane cans? They sell them in the camping section, and we have one. They work really well, but we have a pop-up and not a tent trailer. I wonder if it would be safe to use these heaters in them?!?

Comment

I just fitted mine with a new cannister, and tested it. Got it in the van for hunting tomorrow - gonna be in the twenties, and my box blind is 4'X4', ten feet up. I'll be snug. ;-)
                    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

i had the buddy heater in my tent, from 36 outside to 56 deg inside on low. worst problem is when the 1lb bottle runs out at 2 am. got real cold real fast but it was fun screwing on the new bottle and starting it up. take the silly plastic top off the next propane bottle so its ready to go on before going to sleep. and i did have a couple of small cracks open for alittle air.

Comment

I was considering getting a Mister heater for my tent and even with the cut off features for low oxogen things can still go wrong. I just dont want to risk killing myself and others camping with me. Go online and Google deathts by propane heaters and you can even see how Colman was sued over twenty times for deaths related to propane heaters and paid out over 8 miliions dollars in law suits.
                        If i did get one it would be only used to keep warm in the tent until i went to sleep and then i would shut it off, i would just rely on the warmth of my bebbing or sleeping bag to keep me warm whle i slept. Just seems to risky to be running a propane heater in your tent for hours wihile sleeping.. Just my opinion thats all..
                        Last edited by swebob; 02-05-2013, 11:30 AM.
                        Proud owner of the Kodiak canvas 10 x 14 deluxe flex bow tent..

Comment

I wouldn't run an electric or portable propane heater while asleep. Much better to warm up the place in the morning with them and take the chill off.

Comment

Use caution when supplying a 30 amp trailer service with only 15 amps. That is why it comes with the strange plug in the first place. At least try to find a 20 amp circuit and don't use any resistor devices likes heaters or coffee makers. Modern power commonly comes from the garage which is protected by a GFI, ground fault interruptor duplexes. They are likely to trip when used for a 30 amp trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by renodesertfox View Post
                              Spill the beans, give us the name of the website where reliable trailer heaters can be purchased. I would like to know if case I ever decide to purchase a tent trailer with no heater in it. You have made it past the moderation period so now there's no holding back. Our readership needs to know! Thanks!
                              One that I would recommend to someone would be the Propex heaters if you are carrying LPG. Simple to install, operate, and maintain. I intend to purchase one for myself this fall when I get into more interior construction in my truck camper and I do take asphyxiation and fire issues seriously. I'm sure there are others out there that will work well but I've seen this one in action in multiple vintage VW vans and the small size, performance, and safety features built in make it the winner for me.
                              Best wishes,
                              The Wanderin' Whitlows

Comment

Working...
                              X