newbee looking for advice on small camper or popup. Used only

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• newbee looking for advice on small camper or popup. Used only

OK... so back story... Campped a lot as a young adult... out of it for 20+ years and now with young kids getting back in.... Loving the camping, and want to do it more. Till now its been tent camping. Well Maom and dad had a bigger camper... but I was only in it a few times... So.. Im thinking of getting a small camper. I like tenting..... but something a little more contained is nice for the wife and kids. here is what I have to work with..

Not to heavy. I will be towning with a minivan, so realy want to keep it under 2k lbs.

Dont need bathroom, and kitchen aera is not that important. We like camp fire cooking, and a easy up, or awning takes care of eating in the rain.

Sleep 4 people. Wife and I, and two kids.. Three beds are better. My two girls tend to have issues getting asleep if they are together... you know kids... eather giggling or fighting... no mid ground!!

Needs to be used. A new camper is not a option. Wife kids, house... you know the drill... money can be tight for something your going to use a few times a year...

The plus side...

I have PLENTY of storege room at home... so thats easy.

Im VERY handy... I can fix/build most anything.

I have many MANY miles of trailer towing under my belt... eaven long trips. between boats and utilty trailers... ive racked up a lot of miles, and can back one most anywere...

OK... so whats out there? I know popups have been around for ever, and tend to be cheap.. I know to check the canvas out good on them, but anything else goes on them? Any thing to look out for on them?

Other small under 2k campers??? Whats out there in the used market? Anything? Ive seen the small teardrops, but they are realy too small for the 4 of us. What else in there? What to look for/avoid.

Thanks for any help!!! Im starting my search now, becouse the used prices tend to be the best this time of year!!!

Re: newbee looking for advice on small camper or popup. Used only

s1120: have you done a google search for USED camping trailers or pop-ups in your area?
    that could give you an idea of what is out there and the price range...

recently I have been researching "vintage" campers not the teardrop style but ones called "canned ham"
    and similar designs...that could be another option...

most of the hard-sided campers have a kitchen and most also have a bathroom/shower combo as well...
    pop-up tent trailers usually only offer 2 bed areas that extend from the ends and the dining table that collapses
    to form another sleeping spot...I did see recently a pop-up that also had a slideout like the bigger travel trailers...

I wish you luck with your search,please share with us what you find or decide to purchase...

Comment

Thanks for the advice guys! Ive poked around the used market... My problem is I realy am new to this, and not sure whats what.. But im slowing learning. ive thought about vintege... and Im good with that, I like old things, but I always thought the older ones are pretty heavy. As for building one from a box trailer... well in my aera box trailers go for good money! Used campers are cheaper.

Ive never heard of the "canned Ham" style.... Ill look into that.

Comment

Since you are in the used market, have a look at what is available and pick the best one for your budget. In our area, Craigslist is FULL of pop-ups for sale. Price range is from $300 to $3,000 with lots of them in excellent condition for around $1,200.

I am primarily a tent camper, but I have stayed in pop-ups and they are a nice compromise between a tent and RV. They keep you off the ground and give you a more secure feeling than a tent.

A lot of wives who have given up tent camping can be coaxed into camping in a pop-up, thus extending your camping life for a few years until you are forced into the RV (and hopefully that won't happen until your late '60's)

Comment

Ya, Ive been looking local, and a few starting to pop up. Im lucky that I have room to store it... so that guy looking to get it gone, so they dont have to pay another winter storrege bill... Ya, I dont have that problem. :D Found a few raging from almost new, and too pricy for me... to total rat traps. As i said, I dont mind repairs..... but I am hoping to find something with recent damange so it has not done too much damange to the rest of the camper!!

Comment

Working...
          X