Cargo Van Advice Needed For Camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cargo Van Advice Needed For Camping

My family is looking at either a large passenger/cargo van like the Chevy Express, Ford E150, or Dodge Ram to use for our transportation when going camping. We mostly tent camp but would love a mini hotel on wheels to sleep in when we arrive late or just need a quick nap on the road.

Click image for larger version

Name:	van-picture.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	84.4 KB
ID:	72531

Anyone have any experience with the larger vans? We really don't want a conversion van. I want a van that has a rubber mat floor so I can load up gear. We would like to build a small bunk/sleeper in the back and use the storage underneath for most of our stuff. We don't want to advertise that we are sleeping in rig. We like to fly under the radar until we arrive at our destination.
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: Cargo Van Advice Needed For Camping

I have driven a ford E250 since about 07 and it has suited it's purpose fine. It is being used as an electrical service van, with a BUNCH of weight on it. It has a open cargo area, so I think if you did a little customizing a van would work fine. I know most electrical shops prefer fords, they just seem to last. Also look at the dodge sprinter, a bunch of guys use them for transporting dirt bikes and bounce houses. I seen some ready made bunk beds (for tents) on a you tube video. I will look to see if I can find them.
    Nights camped in 2019: 24
    Nights camped in 2018: 24

Comment

Quick tip for van camping, which you may already know. Bring along some blocks to put under the wheels for leveling.

Comment

Here is a link to the bunk beds I was talking about. They carry a 4.6 rating out of 5 with about 200 reviews. Kinda pricey but they seem to have good reviews.
        http://www.cabelas.com/product/735034.uts

Comment

Originally posted by 05Kingquad700 View Post
          Here is a link to the bunk beds I was talking about. They carry a 4.6 rating out of 5 with about 200 reviews. Kinda pricey but they seem to have good reviews.
          http://www.cabelas.com/product/735034.uts
          The bunk beds would be great for the kids. I was thinking about some metal storage cabinets over the wheel wells and then place a sheet of plywood on top to make a bed for 2 people.

Thanks for the advice on condensation. I would install a small vent on top.
          sigpic

Comment

I recently started to comvert my Dodge B250 into a small RV. Maybe it'll give you some new ideas.

You can follow my progress at cargovanconversion.com

Comment

I have seen some guys who build a gaint drawer for the space in between the wheel wells, then put a piece of plywood over the drawer and use that as a bed. That way you have some storage underneath you as well.

Comment

Originally posted by cargovanconversion View Post
                I recently started to comvert my Dodge B250 into a small RV. Maybe it'll give you some new ideas.

You can follow my progress at cargovanconversion.com
                You sure gave me some great ideas. This is going to be one great project for you. I am going to follow your progress. My idea is to have a basic camping gear hauling machine for tent/family camping. If I had the tools and a workshop to do what you are doing, I would love it. Thanks for posting the link.
                sigpic

Comment

Check out the Yahoo Groups "Van Dwellers" site - lots of good ideas. Free membership to see the pics and read the posts.

http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/VanDwellers/
                  Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Ive owned driven ford vans and trucks for years! I love the vans, but I will offer some advice.. Pass by the E150 and go to the E250 vans. On the 1/2 ton ones ford lightened the shock/spring rates a lot to offer a smooth cushy ride. Well the trade off is some odd feeling handling. They feel a little top tippy and have some odd cornering behavour. They are safe... just feel strange. The heaver suspention on the E250 takes that away. Just my advice from a guy that put a lot of miles on my old E150!!!

Comment

Working...
                    X