Another Trailer Hitch Thread!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Another Trailer Hitch Thread!

:cool: Well, a long look at storage options (16 cubic foot roof box) for the new Prius left me wanting something more than lower mileage, whistling roof racks and a scratched-up roof after a few outings. The better option looks like the hitch-mounted 13 cubic foot box, meaning it's time to choose a hitch. Rather than buying the first thing that crosses a counter at me at Camping World, I'm here to ask the experts. A particular brand? Any real advantage of Class II vs. Class I for this kind of application? Thanks in advance for your valuable comments on this one, I'm really out of my element for a change. :rolleyes:
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Re: Another Trailer Hitch Thread!

The Reese (Rigid), Hidden Hitch Draw-Tite and Curt seem to be the available hitches, with the Hidden Hitch being recommended for close fit at the rear fascia.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”

Comment

As our sales history shows, many customers seem happy with Reese or Draw-Tite trailer hitches. As far as the difference between Class I and II hitches, it's really a matter of how much weight/towing capacity your car can handle. I wasn't sure what the Prius could handle so I did a little research on some Toyota community boards and heard anywhere from 1,000-2,000 pounds without a problem, but those weren't the manufacturer's specs.

To give you a better sense of Class I and II and beyond, there's a nifty diagram out there that points to cars, towing capacity and what Tongue Weight and Gross Trailer Weight mean to each: http://www.autoaccessoriesgarage.com...Research-Guide

Hope this helps and good luck with your search!

Comment

As my post stated, I'm adding a hitch-mounted storage box, not a trailer. Towing capacity is only a factor if you're towing. Class II hitches are tough to find for this application, so my tongue weight limitation is 300#, which will allow for a lot of our gear.

Comment

Ah, for a Class I carrier, I would go for Curt brands then.

Comment

Sadly the Thule Cargo box fits only Class II receivers, and the available hitches are Class I. So it's back to research, no easy answers here.

Comment

I just bought a new car and had a hitch put on it and wireing. I have an chevy equinox. They put a 1 and 1/4 inch hitch on it. I got a 2 inch cargo carrier from e-trailer, then i bought an adapter to bring it from 1-1/4 inch to 2 inch. I just cant put more on it then i can carry with the 1-1/4 inch. But i just plan on putting some totes on it and maybe some folding chairs.

Comment

Originally posted by jon46 View Post
                I just bought a new car and had a hitch put on it and wireing. I have an chevy equinox. They put a 1 and 1/4 inch hitch on it. I got a 2 inch cargo carrier from e-trailer, then i bought an adapter to bring it from 1-1/4 inch to 2 inch. I just cant put more on it then i can carry with the 1-1/4 inch. But i just plan on putting some totes on it and maybe some folding chairs.
                You might want to rethink that plan to compensate for the new weight limit of your cargo hauler. You cannot use the same load capacity rating of the cargo carrier because it is designed for a Class II receiver, and you are using a Class I. Just like a lever, as you move the load aft from the hitch the load capacity gets lower. Those adapters are intended for towing and not for cargo carriers. I would only do that as a last resort as it will possibly compromise safety.

Comment

Everywhere Ive read on these adapters is that they are for Bike racks and cargo carriers and not for towing. Just Im limited to a lighter load as I cannot go over the class 1 weight. Am i missing something?

Comment

I contacted our largest municipal hitch installer and he cautioned me that while the adapter would allow me to tow up to my towing maximum using a different hitch/ball setup than a Class I would provide, that it is not for bike racks or cargo barriers/baskets since the adapter extends the distance from the receiver to the device. Think of a lever where it becomes easier to lift an object when you use a longer lever, multiplying force. Tongue weight loads also multiply force, meaning you can much more easily overload your cargo weight and subject it to damage from bounce or breakage. I thought this was good advice, making me rethink trying to get around the limitations of towing/hitch class designations. They are there for good reasons. Using the adapter would mean I'd need to recalculate the load capacity of the cargo box due to the change in physics to ensure safe carrying and no damage to my car or to my expensive gear.

Comment

I had my local U-Haul install the TorkLift 2" Stealth EcoHitch from TorkLift Central, and it is a beauty. They don't usually install customer-provided hitches, but they kindly made an exception and blamed the Call Center. Totally hidden under the vehicle, only the receiver sticks out and it's snug to the bottom of the bumper. I installed the Curt T-Connector lighting harness myself and the ohmmeter says it's working properly. Today I'll receive a Firestone AirBag lift setup to keep the rear level under load. I now have a 2011 Prius sporting a class II hitch, 2", set up to tow with a 200 lb. tongue weight and a 2000 GVWR. Yahoo!

Comment

We'll be fine staying inside the 165-lb. weight limit for our new Thule Cargo Basket, it's really well-built and easy to install and remove, it took about an hour to assemble. It barely moves underway and the working tail and license plate lights are a nice touch. I added the Curt T-connector harness specific for the Prius. The Firestone CoilRite Air Lift system is now installed, OffRoadWarehouse did a great job and added a T-airline so there's only one valve to inflate. You can air up your springs up to 30 lbs. and maintain a level load. We will try it all out within a couple of weeks in the back country and post some photos.

Comment

Photos of the Prius TorkLift Hitch, CoilRite air lift, and Curt T-connector:

Comment

Here's the Thule Combi in action, loaded for La Jolla Indian Reservation camping & river tubing. Note the South-Of-The-Border bumper sticker: Like many, I'm a friend of Pedro! :cool:

Last edited by tplife; 08-27-2012, 06:01 PM.

Comment

Working...
                            X