Anyone here have a r-pod?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Anyone here have a r-pod?

I saw one on my last camping trip. The owners invited me to look inside. I think it's absolutely adorable. And I love the screen room you can get with it. I'm seriously considering buying one. But would love to hear other people's opinion, 'cus I never ever thought I'd use anything other than a tent.
    Total nights sleeping outdoors in 2013: 28

Re: Anyone here have a r-pod?

Before you make your purchase make sure you take your whole family with you to go inside the RV. Sit, stand, move around, and make sure that the model you're getting will work for you. Make sure you also look ahead and not get caught in the moment. If you can't stand having people on you when you're cooking, sitting, etc, then look at a different model. If you're never going to be indoors at all, then an RPOD is great to have. If you're going to hang out inside with that many people and don't mind converting the dinette to a bed and back, then a 176 or 182G will work for you. Since, you have a Titan, you could probably get a bigger rig for more comfort and space in the future. This will save you $$ in taking a loss later when you trade up your POD.
    You can get a bigger rig that provides a lot more room and comfort for not much more than a POD. Also, evaluate your needs/wants. What're you going to use your POD for? Are you ever going to carry toys (ATV's, bikes, boats, etc.)? If so a Toy Hauler or a slide in camper may be better for you. Will you dry camp a lot? If so, something with a built in generator and bigger tanks would be better (Toy Hauler).

I know for us, with two small kids, dog, and toys an RPOD would be miserable for a two week trip. We've never been tent campers and rely on our built in generator and 100 gal fresh tank for dry camp adventures. There's nothing like being able to pull to a place, fire up the generator (from inside) without the fear of anyone stealing it or running out of fuel (35 gal fuel for generator) and take a very long shower and not have to run out of water for all four of us. Having two TVs in two seperate ares of the RV to watch it in is also a big hit for me.

Also, evaluate your camping plans. Are you going to spend time in National/State parks? If so, a smaller rig like the POD would be better than a bigger, longer rig. If you're camping on RV parks, then most definitely a bigger rig is better.

Whatever you decide on, the best thing is to enjoy your trips and cherish the moments you have with your family. Enjoy!
    I've no house in the city, just a camping tent in the wild.

Comment

I saw an R-Pod this past weekend at a local retailer....awesome little model. It was the one with the rear hatch that opened for the outside kitchen. Pretty neat setup for tailgating. The model I want is the one with the rear slide out, however it's 9 INCHES to high to fit into my garage. The weight is right, the size is right, everything is what we want except for the height. Therefore, our PUP search continues.

Comment

I don't own one, but we've walked through a few looking for a good lightweight trailer. In my opinion, the storage in the r-pod is very poor. Poor as in they didn't even try to provide storage. Front and back, there are exactly one overhead cabinet, right int he middle. The rest of the roofline is completely wasted.

If you can find one, look for a used MPG by heartland. Lots more storage and the same overall look and feel as the R-Pod.

Comment

I looked at R-Pod online.

I decided on my 8 ft x 14ft TT. Way more headroom and interior storage, as well as more bathroom space, probably because it is squared off rather than rounded. It also costs a lot less.

Comparing my Dutchmen 814RB with the R-Pod RP-151, which was their smallest and I don't know if it is still made, my dinette-into-a-bed is 54x80, the R-Pod is 58x74, my bathroom seems a lot bigger, and I have a front window. Don't know about air in the R-Pod, but mine has a 13.5 BTU roof unit.

Not quite as cool as an R-Pod, but it holds both DH and me.

The fact that we already had a truck that pulls an 18ft boat and has no problems pulling the trailer made the TT the best choice. We get the same or slightly better gas mileage than when we pull the boat.

We fit in national forest and state parks campsites. We disperse camp at reclaimed strip mines in Ohio and have no problems getting around in there.
          Last edited by actad; 12-12-2012, 11:54 AM.
          - Laura
          Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Two big things I look at are inside stand-up height and bed length - being that I am six foot four inches, a 6 foot height inside and a 74 inch bed don't cut the mustard.......
            Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

I hear you. I am vertically challenged, so extra blankets and pillows go on the bottom of the bed on my side, but DH appreciates being able to stretch out. DH is horizontally challenged, so the fact that he can fit in the shower is a plus.
              - Laura
              Coleman Dome/Instant Cabin Tents, Kamprite IPS, Shasta Oasis 18ft Travel Trailer

Comment

Working...
              X