Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• water storage

Hi,

I'm a newbie, and we are contemplating purchasing a 18-23 foot trailer.

Our question before we purchase is about the water storage.

:confused: We want to travel to the national parks and since there will not be water at the park, and since we don't want to carry the water.........are there recommended places across this huge nation of ours where we can get water, say just outside of the national parks?

I hope I said this right, so what I said is understood.

Thanks!

Donna

Re: water storage

Howdy Donna...water availability depends on the national park, some do and some don't have water. What parks were you thinking about visiting?
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

We are in Ohio and any parks between here and the Pacific Ocean and any parks between here and the east coast. Honestly, I'm not trying to be ridiculous, even tho it sounds ridiculous. We were hoping maybe gas stations would let us water up? Just dunno. Any suggestions are very welcome!

Comment

No problem....as far as I know, where ever a person goes you gotta either carry water or buy it when you get there. Filling stations charge for it, grocery stores charge for it. The campground fees you'll have to pay for in a NP include water if it's available. It's best to check the websites of the NPs that you will visit. I'm a tent camper(still in my sixties) and we never carry water. We purify stream or lake water all the time. There are a few TT campers here...once they see your question there will be more responses.

Comment

Are you talking about water for washing dishes, etc.? If so, what' the best way to purify your water?

We were looking at a NP in Wyoming ( I forget the name) and because they didn't have water there, and since we'd like to take advantage of our inside shower (once we get the trailer), .......... who could best advise me on these trailer showers? Are they ok? Water pressure decent?

How much drag is it really to "carry" the water in the tank?
          How much extra mpg does it take away from traveling?

I have SO many questions, not just about water! Should I post them here, or where?

Comment

I noticed someone posted a great link to State Parks.

Is there such a wonderful link to NPs as well?

Comment

That was me from many months ago...in General Chat there is also a sticky about national parks too, glad to see that you're lookin' around the site more.

Comment

Originally posted by Donna View Post
                Are you talking about water for washing dishes, etc.? If so, what' the best way to purify your water?

We were looking at a NP in Wyoming ( I forget the name) and because they didn't have water there, and since we'd like to take advantage of our inside shower (once we get the trailer), .......... who could best advise me on these trailer showers? Are they ok? Water pressure decent?

How much drag is it really to "carry" the water in the tank?
                How much extra mpg does it take away from traveling?

I have SO many questions, not just about water! Should I post them here, or where?
                No we use stream and lake water for drinking too, Here's what we purchased. It took 10 days to arrive from the time we ordered it. It is called "Cleanstream" it's a gravity water filter by Platypus. There is no pumping so that's a plus! It'll filter 4 liters of dirty water in 2 1/2 minutes. To clean it uses reverse flow to back flush and clean. It is advertized to remove "99.9999999%" of bacteria and protozoa. It's made in Seattle, USA! The filter life is about 1500 liters of water-depending on quality. The package includes two 4liter plastic reservoirs, a fast flow carbon fiber filter cartridge and two taste free silicone connecting hoses.

Yesterday afternoon I walked over to the Truckee River with a bucket in hand and scooped up a gallon of water straight from the river(yuck)! Took it back across the street and ran it through the "Cleanstream". I took two nice clear tall drinking glasses from the rack and filled up one glass with regular drinking water from the tap in the kitchen. The other glass filled with quasi clean Truckee River water. Both glasses were clear! The second glass didn't even smell like the Truckee River. Took a drink, took another and drank the whole liter of Truckee River water and I'm sick as a dog! Ha Ha Ha! No! I feel fine! No bad effects yet! I am surprised! This is gonna be great! When we go campin again we are gonna take it with us and we're gonna use it all the time! Wow! No more carrying all that stupid water! Now there's water everywhere! Sure $70 but well spent. Next campin' trip there will be new photos to see, camo rope too! We got ours from http://www.sunnysports.com with free shipping. Anything over $50 is free shipping from them! Ya, outta get one if you primitive camp!

The original thread about water filters(entitle: Water Filters) in the tent camping section on either the second or third page of chat from page 1. You can read what others have bought, etc.... it might help you or it might not. Seeing that you're old tenters it might interest you.

And in Wyoming there are two national parks and a couple of national monuments. The national parks are Grand Teton National Park and Yellowstone. We have camped at both many many times(tent). And depending on which entrance you use there are various places to acquire water and there are many rivers and lakes in the area. If you have an idea of which entrance then I might be able to help a little bit more. We have campateers that reside in Montana and Idaho and when they get on they may be able to help you as well. Typically though a camping forum moves at a snails pace and people usually chat when they are thinking about camping!
                Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-05-2011, 08:58 AM.

Comment

I bookmarked the site link.
                  Thank you!

Yes, it was Grand Teton, although the other is not that far away.
                  And, I guess we'd opt for the entrance that has water and plan our trip around that.

Comment

Since you're in Buckeye land I'm assuming you would be coming in from the south, there are plenty of places to water up, some might cost some, but water is cheap. Jackson Hole is the closest big town, great places to eat there. Hopefully, you're gonna try and make reservations. That's good. And looking around Jackson Hole, if the park is loaded up it's only a short thirty minutes from Jackson Hole to the park. It'll take a lot of planning but it isn't that hard. You could even plan your entire trip from start to finish by staying at camp grounds along the way. Just need to know the distance you want to travel each day and where is a campground available...might even have to be a KOA campground. Even though you're camping in a TT, the same motto holds true: every campout is just practice for the next one. After awhile, the setting up of camp(pitchin') and the tearing down, getting ready to move(strikin') can be streamlined; only you'll know what it takes for your group. It's a great idea...good luck! Hopes this prattle of mine helps!

Comment

Yes, we will definitely be making our reservations well in advance, whenever possible.
                      We came to Utah, AZ in 2008. Stayed in motels, but every stop was reserved before we left Ohio.

Jackson Hole sounds great. Where or what kinds of places in Jackson Hole would we get water?

We will not be eating out too much, mostly plan to do our own cooking to save some $$, but once in a while it is nice to let someone else do the work and enjoy a meal in a place someone recommends. If you have any particular places in mind, we would be grateful for your suggestions.

Speaking of KOAs, when we tented, we stayed at them often and they were always nice. Are there any you would advise we stay away from? I ask because some camping spots here in Ohio have become trailer parks, but advertise as campgrounds. What are your thoughts or advice about this?

Comment

For your water needs in campgrounds around Jackson Hole and the Grand Tetons National Park for a TT you're in luck. Every site that I have check on all have water available. In fact, here a link I think you'll be able to use, very well presented and a great addition to your probably growing list of places to acquire water from.

http://greater-yellowstone.com/Jacks...mpgrounds.html

For finding great restaurants in nearby Jackson Hole here another link to check out and read reviews:

http://www.jacksonholerestaurants.com/restaurants.shtml
                        We have eaten lunch at Merry Piglet, a Tex-Mex place for lunch very good and very hot! A couple of great dinners at the Snake River Grill and once at the Silver Dollar Grill! The last two places can be pricey but well worth the damage to our jingle-in-our-pockets! Jackson Hole is a very well-kept town and can really deliver in the wild-west historical facades! The town park has arches built out of Elk antlers, worth seeing! The Grand Tetons are simple awesome to behold, words don't do these mountains justice! As you know I'm a tent camper and one of the best places to camp on this spaceship earth is Jenny Lake Campground! Jenny Lake is Tent Only which is really nice! There is also a lodge there that serves very good food as well! Last time we camped there was in 2008!

As far as KOA campgrounds are concerned, I'll have to excuse myself cause we never used them. Perhaps other campateers have, maybe have to wait an' see other responses. That's what is great about a forum, eventfully everyone usually chips in their $0.02 and the askee gets the benefit of choosin' what info to retain! Hope this helps ya a little!
                        Last edited by renodesertfox; 04-06-2011, 09:32 AM.

Comment

Helps tons.
                          Thanks.

Jenny Lake, I looked into that, but forgot it is tents only,........bummers for "us."

Wish others would chime in!! Anything I can do to make that happen?
                          It's getting close to nicer weather all across the USA, so I suspect getting responses will be less?

Comment

My two cents,

Why do you not want to haul water?
                            Your travel trailer is designed to be towed with water in it. As long as your tt (travel trailer) is within the tow limits of your vehicle you are towing with you can haul water. it will add somewhere around 320 lbs (8.35 lbs/gal) which should not affect your gas mileage. However if you are really close to weight limits you may not want to haul the water a long distance. Many folks fill their trailers up at home and tow them with water so that they can stop and use the facilitities in their trailer. A word of caution though if you load the water tank and it is not over your axles (in the very back) you will want to load some of the heavier gear on the other end (up front) to balance the load.

I reccommend short military showers especially if you are staying past a few days. The pressure will be fine if you want more get an oxygenics shower head instead of the stock. My wife trys to keep the showers short but we are always out of water by the end of the weekend (she is often the only one who showers some weekends) If I do it is a quick three minutes in and out. Keep in mind you only have 40 gallons in most tt and you need that to flush the toilet wash dishes etc. It goes fast. I reccommend buying a 6 gallon water carrier (20.00) and sticking it in your trailer. I have used mine often. My brother in law has a 40 gallon tank and they never run out and they have two women showering.

I would think the bigger problem is if they dont have water they will not have a dump station. So anyway you look at it you will be hauling water with you. Most flying J truck stops have water and dump services but you will pay for them.

Just get out and have fun.

Comment

WOO HOO!

Thank you...........awesome, freedom producing answer.
                              Specific answer.
                              Just perfect!!!

We'll haul and go!!

Comment

Working...
                              X