How to determine tow capacity of vehicle

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How to determine tow capacity of vehicle

My Husband and I own a 2010 Chevy Colorado crew cab. It is only a 4 cylinder How do I determine what it will tow? The sticker inside the door says 5000 and the book says 3000 and when I called the dealer they said 2400. How do I know which is right and do I look at unloaded weight of trailer or do I add weight of cargo and water to that? I figured that when we pull without water the gross weight would be less.

Any help would be greatly appreciated
    Thanks

Re: How to determine tow capacity of vehicle

I'd be safe and go with the dealer - he knows from real-world experience what his trucks can do. That "5000" is WAY off for a four cylinder!
    Also, any load in the truck subtracts from tow capacity. The towed load is the ENTIRE load - trailer, gear, consumables - it all is WEIGHT!
    Make sure your brakes and tranny are up to it too. Towing is a huge strain on any vehicle.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

An optional transmission cooler is a must-have here...Just sayin'!
      “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
      ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

from past experience with the S 10 line a 4 cylinder auto trans is 2000 and with a manual trans is 3000

Comment

Working...
        X