More power for Grand Caravan

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• More power for Grand Caravan

We have a 2005 Grand Caravan with the 3.8 and rated for 3,800 towing. We plan on purchasing a 12-14 foot Coleman pop up by next spring. I'm getting load leveler shocks, tranny cooler and cross drilled/slotted front rotors for the van. But I'd like to get a larger TBI with a cold air intake. Can't seem to find one anywhere. Surely some one makes one. Does anyone know of a place to get performance engine parts for a grand caravan?

We used to have a 2001 Coleman Cottonwood pop up that was 2,500lbs. We used to pull the pop up with our 2001 Jeep Cherokee which was rated at 5,000lbs towing capacity. It pulled the camper just fine but it did struggle keeping up to speed on the highway going up hills. I'd like to add some more HP to the van so it doesn't struggle pulling a camper. And ideas would be great, thanks.

Unless you live in a state without smog inspections, or enjoy working with auto map systems, I'd avoid it. To optimize your enlarged TB you'll want to use a Dynojet-type tuning device to change the AF EFI map settings in your engine as well as add a flow-through exhaust or cat-back performance exhaust system. This will increase power, but also NO and hydrocarbon emissions, causing a smog inspection failure. You'd need to remap your EFI before every inspection otherwise, not impossible but extra work as you'd want to also adjust the timing every time.
    “People have such a love for the truth that when they happen to love something else, they want it to be the truth; and because they do not wish to be proven wrong, they refuse to be shown their mistake. And so, they end up hating the truth for the sake of the object which they have come to love instead of the truth.”
    ―Augustine of Hippo, Fifth Century A.D.

Comment

Howdy, Aaron! Welcome to the campfire!
      I have the exact same van, and have the Reese Class III hitch installed.
      You'll want to really watch the max tow weight - especially tackling hills and mountain passes.
      I have gotten good advice from the Dodge Forum site.

http://dodgeforum.com/forum/index.php

Scroll down the homepage and you will see the "Caravan" sub-forum. Ask in there, and they should be able to help you - lots of knowledgable folks!
      Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Thanks. I do not live in a state that does any type of inspections. I know for my jeep Cherokee, they have bolt on larger ID throttle bodies and was hoping that I could find one for my van. I did find a computer chip, cold air intake and flow through exhaust. Haven't ordered anything yet though. The van is rated to pull 3,800lbs and don't plan on going over that. Would just like the extra pulling power. I'm beefing up the brakes as well.

Comment

Working...
        X