Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Camping Fridge

Hi.

I am wondering what are the major differences between using a camping fridge and a normal houehold fridge consdiering electric power is readily available at camp site.

Thanks.

Munjo.

Howdy Camping, welcome to the best camp forum on the planet. Usually when a person(s) goes camping it's for a limited amount of time, at the most 14 days(2 wks). Unless it's you're only means of living. A smaller fridge is smaller so transporting it isn't a major hurdle. A larger fridge would mean that you could load more food or beverages but then you have to figure in the weight of all that extra food etc. Most trailers/RVs can only handle a smaller sized fridge and not the larger household models. But it is certainly up to you to choose. Good luck!
    Get campin', Renodesertfox A canvas campateer
    Campin' Here Between Campouts! Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult

Comment

Propane Electric

Hi Munjo,

Many of the RV fridges run on either propane or Electric both and cool using a completely different system than the 120 volt fridges. The RV fridges are made to run on 12 volt power. Way less than a regular fridge. Plus the weight factor that RDF mentioned above.

Comment

I am putting a mini fridge in my camper tomorrow. I'm acutally hoping a power inverter will work with my marine batts. But if not, oh well. What do y'all think? Would a inverter work on a mini fridge?? I'd like to borrow one before I buy one to try it out. If it works, see how long it would last.

Comment

It may run it, but be aware that the initial 'start' for a fridge uses a bigger surge of wattage. If the fridge use, say, 400 watts normally, double that for the starting surge - choose your inverter accordingly, same as for a generator. Otherwise it could stall. Also, any fridge is a power hog - if using 12VDC, it can drain a battery down fast! That's the beauty of the propane system - they generally are more efficient on propane.

I'm about to get a Scamp 13 minitrailer myself, and have been pricing new appliances - including a mini-fridge. The one in the trailer doesn't work, it has sat for several years. These things ain't cheap!
          Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

Originally posted by rxcamping View Post
            Hi Munjo,

Many of the RV fridges run on either propane or Electric both and cool using a completely different system than the 120 volt fridges. The RV fridges are made to run on 12 volt power. Way less than a regular fridge. Plus the weight factor that RDF mentioned above.
            Hi there.... I just recently purchased a 1983 Glendale trailer. The lighting is 12V, but the electrical outlets are all 110V.

I purchased a bar size fridge that works fine plugged in!

So, a person may want to check if the electrical outlets are 110V.

I'm new to the whole trailer thing and don't know much about them admittedly.
            TrailerMan
            ---------------------
            Living In A Glendale Camper

Comment

In my case, there was no wire when I got it. Well, no safe wires. I took all the old stuff out and put in all new.

I hear propane won't run unless it's exactly level. That would drive me nuts:eek:

Comment

Working...
              X