3 wheel camping

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 3 wheel camping

In the distant past, well back into the 1900s, I was a motorcycle fan. I started on small mini-bikes and graduated to a 1947 H-D that I built from parts and rode cross country many times and all over Arizona, including many miles of Forest Service dirt roads. I never got the memo that supposed road bikes couldnt be ridden on dirt, so I sallied forth and did so with great relish.

Time, life events, getting a dog, and changes in location all encouraged me to step back from bikes for many years, but Ive fallen back into the habit after 30 or so years away. The older types I liked best (the 1930s through 60s Knuckleheads and Panheads) were way out of my budget, but I came into a 1984 H-D Low Rider in decent shape. I can now also appreciate the electric start, and the performance is entirely adequate for my uses, with plenty to spare.

In the past I spent literally hundreds of nights camping, then later living out in the hills off my bike and pickup, I had a blast. I wanted to do some more of that, at least on a minor scale. I mounted a sidecar to the new bike, both to help with possible issues from injuries and so the dog can go riding and adventuring, as well as to allow me to carry more junk, I mean camp gear. The plan is to outfit it for weekend camp trips, most likely with a cargo trailer camper base camp to haul the bike/sidecar and be a livable seasonal rig to escape the snow. It will be a slow motion project, something to work on while caring for an aging parent. Hopefully I can have it ready when Im ready to head west again full time.

Ive seen a number of rigs set up for travel and camping. I have receiver hitches front and back on the sidecar frame, and a mount for an ATV winch to get unstuck from mud or deep ditches. anything my old body cant wrestle the rig out of. Ive gotten a number of good ideas, we shall see how they develop on my bike.

The bike. H-Ds are sort of like Legos, they can be made into nearly anything imaginable, the base chassis is the same from the huge full dresser tour bikes to the stripped down Super Glide versions. This one was somewhat close to the styles I like, it will get old school halfmoon footboards, larger gas tanks (switch from 3 1/2 to 5 gallons), and I have a "wide glide" front end, a stripped down and slightly extended one from an FXWG model with 21" skinny front wheel that Ill put on it this summer.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0044 - Copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	51.5 KB ID:	81334

The sidecar mounted. Its a DMC brand, I found it used for a very decent price. A well built and designed rig for my use. They seem pretty popular for use with a variety of bikes. I havent quite convinced the dog its a great idea to ride in yet, its a slow process with her. Most people that take their dogs in their sidecar say the dogs absolutely love it, most say they wish theyd gotten one years earlier.

Click image for larger version  Name:	IMG_0269 - Copy.JPG Views:	0 Size:	51.1 KB ID:	81335

Ill add pictures and info as this progresses over time.

This guy is one of my camp and adventure heroes, Ara and his dog Spirit. They traveled all over the west with the bike and sidecar for years, he has scads of good videos. This one I like a lot because it reminds me of parts of Arizona I used ro ride and roam in and plan to go see again.

Last edited by Malamute; 07-25-2021, 10:39 AM.

Congrats! Sounds like a great project.

My mechanic shop operator used to take her prior dog riding. The dog loved it.

Years ago, as a child, my dad had a dirtbike. I still remember hin taking our crazy psycho "toy fox terrier" out for a ride around the block on it. Dang dog wouldn't sit for the entire ride, so my dad refused to take him for another ride.
    “One could not be a successful scientist without realizing that, in contrast to the popular conception supported by newspapers and mothers of scientists, a goodly number of scientists are not only narrow-minded and dull, but also just stupid.” - James D. Watson

Comment

Its been a good project while away from my home in the rockies, and looking forward to future adventures. Tinkering with the bike is an ongoing thing, getting little details right to my tastes that few may ever notice, but catch my eye, or for ease of use.

I gave up riding in the late 80s, for several reasons,. one of which was I knew a number of people seriously injured or killed on bikes, and having had a number of close calls, decided it was time to step back. I traded riding for roaming about in the mountains in grizzly country, usually alone but for the dogs. Not exactly hiding out from any potential danger, just a different way to adventure that I also loved. A brush with leukemia, and serious injuries have changed my perspective somewhat, besides not being able to hike as much or carry the bear gun as easily. Nobody is getting out of this alive, so you may as well do the things your love while you can, riding was a longtime love, its finally time to get back to it.

My clean, pretty bike is likely going to look somewhat like Aras rig when I get back to the west and start riding dirt roads again. You can see Spirit in the sidecar.

Aras rig, a BMW with russian sidecar.

Click image for larger version  Name:	Ara Spirit loaded.jpg Views:	2 Size:	61.5 KB ID:	81345
      Last edited by Malamute; 07-28-2021, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Working...
      X