Old Towns

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Old Towns

When I take off on a camping trip, I am never searching for the fastest route to "Get There!". Most of the time I am looking for the longest and most scenic route. This all started back in the late 70's when I used to ride my bicycle for months at a time to see the country. Had more time back then. I disliked too much traffic whizzing by and blowing us off the road. Feel the same way today. I plan a general route like driving to Yellowstone from California. The in between driving is often more fun than the destination because of the beautiful gems that we discover on our way. We stop and pick local fruits and veggies. If we see a sign that advertises "Farm Fresh Eggs", we stop and buy a dozen.

2 years ago while camping in the city park of Dufur, Oregon, I asked the campground host if he new where we could get some farm fresh eggs. He made a few phone calls and a lady showed up in a pick up truck loaded with her kids and 4 dozen eggs. We later drove to her home to see her range fed chickens and grass fed beef. It was a sight to behold!

Here are typical photos that shows what we like to do while driving to our so called destination. We stop at every old small town and look around.

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0934 (1).jpg
Views:	1
Size:	94.2 KB
ID:	72596

Name:	IMG_0932 (1).jpg
Size:	96.2 KB
ID:	72597

Name:	IMG_1004.jpg
Size:	94.9 KB
ID:	72598

Name:	IMG_0929.jpg
Size:	95.6 KB
ID:	72599

Name:	IMG_0956 (1).jpg
Size:	97.8 KB
ID:	72600
    Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
    sigpic

Re: Old Towns

I agree, scenic beats fastest, generally. Also, I dislike interstates (all look alike) and dense metro areas. So my route will more likely swing wide using state roads, rural roads and sometimes good dirt roads through small towns and villages. I am also often on motorcycle, and the scenic routes suit me far better. People seem more open to talking with a rider too - they don't see many bikes coming through and are curious. Someitmes I plot my course from one point of interest to another. Rest stops can come quicker too, if not using interstate highways.
    Longtime Motorcycle Camper. Getting away from it all on two wheels! :cool:

Comment

nice, looks like fun

Comment

Markkee,
        Good post. Many people would benefit from a long car camping trip to learn the slower pace that you elude to.
        I spent 6 weeks moving to the West Coast in 1972, and learned to "stay for 3 days, in any spot that seemed interesting."

Comment

We are leaving for a long trip and it's the first time that I have not really mapped out where we going. I have a general idea. My wife said "do not book any national forest cabins because we are not sure where we will be." We usually book a cabin and it's so much fun. But since having our large van to travel in, we don't mind hunkering down in the woods and relaxing when and where we want to relax.

We have fishing poles, 2 cheap inflatable rafts, new down sleeping bags, an REI Base Camp 4 tent and we are ready to hit the road.
          Visit me at Campward Bound for more camping information.
          sigpic

Comment

Working...
          X